Forums

What's your favorite ipad app for studing chess?

Sort:
Bronco

Which ones and why?

There is :

Chess.com (tactics)

Tactics Trainer

Chess Camp

e+plus chess

Smart Chess

Chessimo

BC Take

Problems

Just to name a few. Has any of them helped you improve? Am I missing any?

Thanks for any insight!

stwils
Smart chess It is great to use on a move by move book. Stwils.
Bronco
Yes, smart chess is nice. I downloaded the first chapter of Laskers Manual of chess to check out the interactive book. Very nice. I also downloaded Chessimo and it comes with alot of free tactics puzzles. You can pay for more in the app. It seems interesting because it has a "deadline" for finishing all the tactics , openings, and endgame stuff, still just figuring it out
aidin299
Shredder Hd is good especially it's graf feature and auto elo adjustment. T chess pro ,....not bad. I dont like the GUI of this app and the way pieces move. Simple chess is one of best for online playing. Hiarcs ( especially new vertion) is excellent. Stockfish has a strong engine ,works with dual core. Opening lite is a desent app for learning openings. Every man's e- reader and Chessbase's two apps are great.Chess-wise also is a so so.
stwils
Chessimo for the iPad does not compare to the one I have on my pc. Where is the music?
Bronco
@stwils. Besides no music on Chessimo app ;). What do you think of it? Is it similar to the pc version? Did the pc version give you any improvement or chessboard vision?
stwils
The pc version was FUN! I have forgotten the cost-- more than the iPad version I 'm sure.
chessmaster102

Can any of the apps in the OP's be accessed on a blackberry (my phone)

Bronco
chessmaster102 wrote: Can any of the apps in the OP's be accessed on a blackberry (my phone). Sorry but I'm not sure. Probably have to google them and check the developers web sites.
Bronco
I just finished book #1 in Chess Camp app. It's basic moves, attacks, and captures. 624 problems in it. Not too difficult( a little easy) but fun. I liked a small section on pawn structure though( makes you realize those little guys can have job to do).
Bronco
[COMMENT DELETED]
Bronco
[COMMENT DELETED]
Bronco
FYI the app called smartchess will be a free download on January 16th according to their website
Bronco
BUMP
fburton

Unfortunately, SmartChess! reader renders the board incorrectly on the iPad 3. Hope they fix that soon!

Bronco
fburton wrote:

Unfortunately, SmartChess! reader renders the board incorrectly on the iPad 3. Hope they fix that soon!

Their home page on the website says that they are working on it

fburton

Still waiting...

Bronco

Yeah I know. Have you checked out e+chess (epluschess)? They just released two more books.

fburton

Thanks for the heads up, Bronco70.

Bronco

@pfren are you buying an abacus ;)