Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Worst Chess Books!

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #61

SilentKnighte5

SmyslovFan wrote:

Mastering the Endgame (2 volumes) by Shereshevsky

I have both of these, but haven't had a chance to read them yet.  Interesting format for studying endings.  Shame I had to pay top $$ for them since they're out of print.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #62

blueemu

Once you grasp his terminology, it`s a fine book. I find much of his terminology to be quite useful.

High-level players tend to think in "chunks" instead of in "I-go-here, he-goes-there" style... and concepts like Duo, Ram, Lever, Chain (and extensions of those concepts such as Head Duo and Liberation Lever) make it easier to "chunk" a position.

YMMV.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #63

SilentKnighte5

I like the Kmoch book as well.  I think most of his terminology was unnecessary, but if I understand and apply that's all that matters.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #64

andersgen

OK, one book that I think is rather bad: "Bobby Fischer teaches chess". This book is too elementary even for those who don't know how the pieces move. In the foreword Fischer said something like this: "I hope you will be a better chess player after having read this book. At least, I was!" Hmmm... wasn't this book released the same year Fischer become the world champion? Me too could have been a world champion back then!

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #65

blueemu

On the other hand, "My 60 Memorable Games" was an absolute classic.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #66

chessmicky

SmyslovFan wrote:

Pawn Power is pretty awful in my opinion. Kmoch commits a common mistake by burdening chess with unnecessary terminology that nobody uses.

Leukopenia? Give me a break.

And yet, there's some great stuff in there! It seems unfair, but a pedant like Kmoch can produce a great book despite his own best efforts

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #67

SilentKnighte5

On a related note, Igor Smirnov's site has to be one of the worst out there.  Looks like a giant infomercial where you're guaranteed to play like a GM by placing tiny classified ads.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #68

I_Am_Second

SilentKnighte5 wrote:

On a related note, Igor Smirnov's site has to be one of the worst out there.  Looks like a giant infomercial where you're guaranteed to play like a GM by placing tiny classified ads.

While the site may not look like much, the courses do work.  Nothing earth shattering in them, its the way he teaches. 

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #69

fburton

andersgen wrote:

OK, one book that I think is rather bad: "Bobby Fischer teaches chess". This book is too elementary even for those who don't know how the pieces move. In the foreword Fischer said something like this: "I hope you will be a better chess player after having read this book. At least, I was!" Hmmm... wasn't this book released the same year Fischer become the world champion? Me too could have been a world champion back then!

The book is brilliant and covers a wide range of checkmate patterns from back rank mate to... er... back rank mate. Undecided

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #70

cornbeefhashvili

Are we talking about the worst chess book published or are we talking about the least beneficial chess book for any or specific player?

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #71

SilentKnighte5

cornbeefhashvili wrote:

Are we talking about the worst chess book published or are we talking about the least beneficial chess book for any or specific player?

Yes.

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #72

tomgdrums

my two contenders for worst book ever are:

1) Why You Lose at Chess by Tim Harding

Harding's book is one of the least educational books I have ever read on any subject.  The explanations were vapid and incomplete.  And those were the good ones!

2)  Openings for Amateurs by Pete Tamburro

My displeasure with this book may have more to do with the back cover blurb from the publisher.

They make a big deal about the Opening Primer section of the book and that was pretty bad.  Some examples had decent explanations but most of them did not.

The "repertoire" in the back is a little better but still not very good at explaining the openings.

Honorable mention for worst booke ever is the vastly overrated snooze fest:  A First Book of Morphy.

Somehow made Morphy's games boring and uneducational all at once!

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #73

blueemu

tomgdrums wrote:
    Honorable mention for worst book ever is the vastly overrated snooze fest:  A First Book of Morphy.

Somehow made Morphy's games boring and uneducational all at once!

Now THAT sounds like a real achievement.

... in a purely negative sense, of course.

Post your reply: