Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

More Mentor for gold members


  • 2 years ago · Quote · #1

    Disgruntled_Sheep

    I have played through all of the availalbe (demo) lessons on chess mentor and think that it is amazing!! The only downside is that it ends and I am asked to up my membership in order to learn more. 

    I understand that a lot of work goes into something like chess mentor and I really appreciate the "why that move is wrong" analysis each time. The instructor (I think all the ones I did were Silman) certainly cares about my learning and it shoes. However I cannot afford the top membership prices and so have no access beyond the demo lessons.

    Is it possible or even practical to allow an extra lesson each week under a gold membership (2 for platinum)? With over 100 lessons, this means approx 2 years of membership in order to get through them. Also if it were possible, I think that it would be a good idea if you could accumulate the lessons. For example, if I did not do a lesson for 3 weeks, I could then still have access to 3 lessons (not 1) when I decided to use the mentor function.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #2

    EpicJohnston

    Good idea.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #3

    hicetnunc

    I'm afraid they're running a business here, so you may actually have to pay to use the result of their work Smile

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #4

    EpicJohnston

    He does pay for Gold.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #5

    Disgruntled_Sheep

    hicetnunc wrote:

    I'm afraid they're running a business here, so you may actually have to pay to use the result of their work

    That's why my suggestion was only for Gold and Platinum members. Both are paying accounts, and if you re-read the first post it shows that it would take 2 years of paid membership to get through the enitre course. The current offer is only valid for Diamond members (which is WAAAAYYY out of my affordability range).

     

    BTW thanks for responding both of you, I thought I was alone with this. Everyone else seems to have ignored the suggestion and let it die Frown

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #6

    lucano2012

    I believe they should customize the contracts, giving each customer the chance to choose the features he/she wants.

    Because maybe someone just cares about chess mentor, and doesn't care about videos or other features he/she will never use.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #7

    Disgruntled_Sheep

    I like that idea, although I have absolutely no idea about how hard it is to implement. It may be too complicated to make it so personal. I have to admit there certainly are features that I have never used on this site and others I use religiously.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #8

    lucano2012

    Disgruntled_Sheep wrote:

    I like that idea, although I have absolutely no idea about how hard it is to implement. It may be too complicated to make it so personal. I have to admit there certainly are features that I have never used on this site and others I use religiously.

    It is not hard at all. If you'd ever buy a Dell computer they give that possibility to each customer. Practically you can decide the CPU, the ram, the speed, everything! So I believe also here, if chess.com finance plan guys visited Dell, they'd know how to implement it.

    And they would make more revenue, because more people would buy one option, and then maybe discover they want to add the video option, and pay a little more... and so on.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #9

    Conflagration_Planet

    Discuss it with eric.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #10

    Disgruntled_Sheep

    I'm not sure who Eric is, but in relation to Lucano2012's comment. It's not likely to be the same as buying a new computer. To get more RAM you simply put a stick of RAM that has more memory on it into the RAM slot on your motherboard and suddenly you have more RAM. The same goes for CPU's etc. A site like this is running some very complicated code. When you purchase a new option it is not as easy as a person pressing a button, but hours of code is going to need to be written. This is what I mean by difficulty in implementing. Either new code will be needed, old code will need to be updated, and the either way the changes are going to have to be tested as to not cause unforseen problems. One simple spelling error could cause any number of problems. I stand by the idea, but I understand that there are limits to what can an cannot be done with the available resources.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #11

    Conflagration_Planet

    Disgruntled_Sheep wrote:

    I'm not sure who Eric is, but in relation to Lucano2012's comment. It's not likely to be the same as buying a new computer. To get more RAM you simply put a stick of RAM that has more memory on it into the RAM slot on your motherboard and suddenly you have more RAM. The same goes for CPU's etc. A site like this is running some very complicated code. When you purchase a new option it is not as easy as a person pressing a button, but hours of code is going to need to be written. This is what I mean by difficulty in implementing. Either new code will be needed, old code will need to be updated, and the either way the changes are going to have to be tested as to not cause unforseen problems. One simple spelling error could cause any number of problems. I stand by the idea, but I understand that there are limits to what can an cannot be done with the available resources.

    Site owner, and for some reason, he doesn't capitalize his name on here.


Back to Top

Post your reply: