Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Topic Suggestions

• 5 years ago · Quote · #81

michaelwraphael

Several Courses on the Caro-Kann Defense!!!

• 5 years ago · Quote · #82

AndreaCoda

I would love to see a course either on the "Torre Attack" or on the "Scandinavian / Center Counter defense".

Let me also take this opportunity to congratulate the staff for the excellent Chess Mentor courses, which are the main reason why I went Diamond. I am going through all the courses one by one, starting from the lower rated and climbing the ladder: I think it is an excellent way to cover the gaps I have, I am learning interesting stuff even from problems rated 1000!

• 5 years ago · Quote · #84

Conflagration_Planet

How do you go through lower rated chess mentor courses? I heard they were aimed at 2000 rated players, or there abouts.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #85

SavageLotus

Perhaps a move by move on the main lines of major opening systems with commentary on the "whys" of each move? Or does that one already exist and I don't realize it?Embarassed

• 5 years ago · Quote · #86

AndreaCoda

woodshover wrote:

How do you go through lower rated chess mentor courses? I heard they were aimed at 2000 rated players, or there abouts.

I just sort them them by difficulty, from easiest to hardest, and I go through them one by one. I only skipped the first one which is really basic (like teaching you how to move pieces), but doing all the others. They are by no mean for 2000 rated players, they start from the very basics and go up to master level indeed, but there is a lot of meat for us "lowbies" Wink

@ David: many thanks for your kind words and encouragement, I really appreciate you taking the time to post!

• 5 years ago · Quote · #87

Conflagration_Planet

I didn't know you culd sort them out, but I just did the free samples.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #88

farbror

All gambit repertoire for Black

Gambits lead to fun, intense games and I do think playing gambits is a great way to learn to appreciate developement, initiative etc

• 5 years ago · Quote · #89

farbror

..... and of course "Training To-Do-lists" for players of different strengths!

• 5 years ago · Quote · #90

Fat_Daddy

How about instruction on how to analyze games, your own and others?  And how to decide what to emphasize in one's study?

• 5 years ago · Quote · #91

farbror

Fat_Daddy wrote:

How about instruction on how to analyze games, your own and others?  And how to decide what to emphasize in one's study?

Great Suggestions, Mr Fat_Daddy!

• 5 years ago · Quote · #93

ItalianGame

Greek gift Sac

• 5 years ago · Quote · #94

farbror

"The 25 Endgames you have to know before you reach ...."

and the sequel "25 more Endgames for you to know"

• 5 years ago · Quote · #95

WanderingWinder

David-Neff, I think the big problem with doing a Chess Mentor series on the Greek Gift sac is that you know that such a sacrifice is in the air i.e. always the move or the threat. It seems much better-suited to be in Tactics Trainer, where I'm pretty sure there already are several problems on the subject.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #97

funnylady

Hi David:

I would be most interested in the following Chess Mentor Courses:

1) A comprehensive course on the Slav/Semi-Slav from opening to typical middle-game and ending positions,

2) a really good endgame course for people who have already completed the existing endgame King & Pawn, and Rook endgame courses,

3) a really good defense and counterattack course similar to GM Wolf's videotape I got from my local library!

4) a pawn structures course similar to Danny Rensch's video series. Videos do not work as well for me as the Chess Mentor courses, and I do not have to worry about the noise bothering other people.

Chess Mentor is the reason that I joined Chess.com, and therefore I hope you keep all these great courses coming.

Cheers!Smile

• 5 years ago · Quote · #99

funnylady

Hello David:

Wow! Thanks for the quick response!

• 5 years ago · Quote · #100

NickYoung5

"How to build on an opening advantage"

Some examples of how to convert a sub-optimal opening response by your opponent into a tangible advantage for you (for well-known openings)

I second all those who cite Chess Mentor as the reason they joined chess.com

Post your reply: