Forums

1. e4 vs 1. d4

Sort:
Chemwong

What I believe now would be:

For Adults who wants to play reasonable game in short,

1.d4 is better try. Some of my friends, after I briefly cover some opening principles like development, space, center control,...

Reinvented the London system and give me a difficult game. What's heartbreaking is I need to design a queen trap to e q u a l i z e my game after a mistake, and still a difficult game for me to holds the queen against night , pawn , rook. Perhaps he is a bright beginner with experiance in other chess-form games.

Yet after he tried 1.e4 , without knowing any exact lines, you imagine...

I would say 1.e4 you need more study of early moves, say the correct path to the 5-7 move tybiya, with serous amount of tactical justification or "positional tactics". For 1.d4, the error margin is larger (Visually poor moves are often in fact nice sidelines or even strong system played in weird move order), and allows player to seeks and realize his own goal in more original way.

I should add that 1.e4 e5 contain nice and easy-to-find material for tactics and quick positional disaster and worthy to study. Yet, studying it and clinging to it are different things!

Lastly I would illustrate the danger of playing 1.e4 e5 without accquinted to the early lines : 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Bxc6 dxc6 5.0-0

With the queens still on the board, can one without previous knowledge really play 5...f6, the taboo pawn push, without any doubt? 

Hope this gives an alternative view to the discussion. Thanks.

CoolChess2006

I play 1.d4 and there is a lot more sidelines I still at least winCool

Doirse

lol...the OP was 13 when he posted this 7 years ago.  I wonder if he is still tracking his thread.

Does this win the prize for longest-running thread on chess.com??

rocky_rovka
Username333 написал:

If d4 is a better move than e4, then why are beginners recommended to use e4? Are they equally good? Is the difference neglegible?

Beginners must learn tactics first, then strategy. After 1.e4 we see more tactical positions appearing. And after 1.d4 we see more positional positions appearing.

vaughanw123

Totally depends on your level and the way in which you play in the opening. There is a theory that because playing 1.e4 tends to lead to open games more than 1.d4 which therefore leads to more tactical positions it's better to play 1.e4 but I think it's quite a vague and biased outlook, imo. Firstly, 1.d4 can lead into at least the majority of the main 1.e4 openings and secondly even if you do play a queens pawn game it depends on which variation you choose as to it being tactical or not as some are more tactical than others (take the Trompowsky for instance). I would say sub 1600 stick with 1.e4 to esnure an open game (for practice purposes) but over 1600 it's totally dependent on your style and which variations you choose as to how tactical 1.d4 can be compared with 1.e4 and should make no difference to your progress. 

Saif-X

e4 is much more better and for those who are afraid from sicillian just play e4 Nc3 f4 Nf3 and attack

uttanka

e4 for an aggressive game with tactical traps everywhere

d4 for a slow and maneuvering game which is tactic proof and presides on strategy 

BlunderLots
uttanka wrote:

e4 for an aggressive game with tactical traps everywhere

d4 for a slow and maneuvering game which is tactic proof and presides on strategy 

d4 openings can be aggressive and tactical, too.

Consider the Grunfeld, the Chigorin, the King's Indian Defense, the Benko Gambit . . .

Pulpofeira

Pfren is a party pooper. It would be lovely a world on black and white where you could rely on cliches to describe it.

Oraoradeki

I don't get it. Why is it a difficult choice? 1.e4 is better because it lets your Queen go to 4 potential squares (e2,f3,g4,h5) and Bishop to 5 potential squares (e2,d3,c4,b5,a6) totalling 9. 1.d4 only grants you 7 potential squares (d2,e3,f4,g5,h6 for Bishop and d2,d3 for Queen). 1.e4 is more accurate because it gives you more freedom and flexibility. By playing something other than 1.e4 people want to avoid theory and preparation.

If I am playing White and Black plays Sicilian, i get so happy because White gets a comfortable game where he can fight for advantage. On the other hand, Black is winning after 1.d4 d5 because he can bore White to death - its a well known tactic called "grinding people down".

Both 1.e4 and 1.d4 have potential to be tactical and positional so if you want to understand chess you need knowledge of both as well as transpositional openings. I personally prefer using 1.e4 for majority of my games and use 1.d4 as a surprise weapon

pestebalcanica
pestebalcanica
It is very likely actually that you will play like a patzer, with or without coach.
SuirenBoid

I might suggest that generally e4 is more definite, I think this is shown by the validity of some of the options vs d4/c4, owens defence for example vs e4 being rather dubious but the english defence (its d4 counterpart) being an interesting and viable defence, there simply seem to be a wider range of options for black vs d4. That being said, I am a d4 player myself, I thrive on the transpositional possibilities and find that I can construct an interesting repertoire that gives me good chances of advantage and suits my playing style without having to worry about sharp topical lines 

BlunderLots
Oraoradeki wrote:

I don't get it. Why is it a difficult choice? 1.e4 is better because it lets your Queen go to 4 potential squares (e2,f3,g4,h5) and Bishop to 5 potential squares (e2,d3,c4,b5,a6) totalling 9. 1.d4 only grants you 7 potential squares (d2,e3,f4,g5,h6 for Bishop and d2,d3 for Queen). 1.e4 is more accurate because it gives you more freedom and flexibility. By playing something other than 1.e4 people want to avoid theory and preparation.

There are always two sides the argument, though. :)

A d4 player, for example, would argue that, while e4 opens diagonals for white's queen and king bishop, it also allows ...e5 for black, opening the same diagonals for his own queen and king bishop.

d4, on the other hand, makes ...e5 more difficult for black to get in, as the e5 square is now already under white's control from the d4 pawn.

Much of the d4 openings, even, go dozens of moves deep, where black is attempting to get in an ...e5 pawn break, while white continues to clamp down on the square.

. . . or you can play e4 and let black equalize with ...e5 immediately. :D

d4's also a protected pawn, so white doesn't have to worry about any immediate threat against it, while e4 players often have to use their d3 pawn, their g2 bishop, or their nc3/nd2 knight to protect their vulnerable e pawn.

As for the theory and prep argument, I'd say both d4 and e4 openings are loaded with theory. Pretty much equally. Yes, you might avoid a lot of e4 theory by adopting 1.d4, but then you're also venturing into the territory of a ton of d4 theory.

IamNoMaster

Brah i am only 789 fide but i know d4 and e4 are both equally strong if used properly brah

ace_mar

I would say the correct answer is neither is better. It all depends on your style. In e4, your fighting for tempo and your playing in open positions. With d4, your fighting for squares and playing in closed positions. I prefer e4 if your lower rated.

ace_mar
[COMMENT DELETED]
Push-Moraine

cameroncam67 wrote:

For Grandmasters, e4 is more popular.

That's because e4 games lead to more exciting games from which one side will emerge with a clear advantage, rather than a long and boring game of positioning.

indiaonsicily

Anyone who says that e4 is sharper then d4 should see some KID games (Excluding the fianchetto variation 

phillidor5949

Can we conclude that 1.e4 and 1.d4 are absolutely equivalent by measure of objective end result (win, loss, draw)? Unless we are prepared to argue that White wins by force after 1.d4 but not after 1.e4, or vice versa, then we admit that both moves lead to the same end result, assuming best play. Hans Berliner created an opening system using 1.d4 whereas Weaver Adams explored the Bishop’s Opening & Vienna Game. You can find a variation tree of Berliner’s system, some of which has accompanying Stockfish Analysis, at the link below.

http://oeco.hopto.org/mediawiki/index.php/Berliner,_Hans_-_The_System