Forums

1. e4 vs 1. d4

Sort:
royalbishop
Oraoradeki wrote:

I play 1.e4 because I HATE 1. d4 d5, but thats just my opinion.

I think its easier to beat the sicilian than to beat lets say... Queen's gambit semi slav

Yeah which variation?

DrSpudnik
Cogwheel wrote:

Why so many threads on this topic recently? 

It is the eternal question!

royalbishop

This is a e4 chess site against the few d4 players in reference to the e4 players. So the e4 players are confused when they come across a strong d4 player.

AlCzervik

Huh?

MyCowsCanFly
royalbishop wrote:

This is a e4 chess site against the few d4 players in reference to the e4 players. So the e4 players are confused when they come across a strong d4 player.

I was just going to say that.

royalbishop

E4 players here mostly! Huh nothing.

When faced against a strong d4 player well nature takes over. This is the only chess site i been where the d4 players were not dominate.

LoveYouSoMuch

both of them.

AND 1 Nf3... "it depends"?

Cidragon

1.e4 -> never play a endgame.

2.d4 -> always play a endgame.

drmnc1

I used to play 1.e4, but then I realised I was falling asleep too often in my games, especially after 1...e5.

Bobby1313gr

The best way to decide whether you want to start with e4 or d4, is to try those openings in game tournaments.

Playing e4 doesn't mean that your game is going to be only tactical. On the other hand d4 doen't lead only to positional situations. ALL openings require good understanding of tactics, strategy, endgame etc.

The main differences among openings are the various ideas behind those openings and the different pawn-structures.

Don't forget that all great GMs play/played all kind of openings (e4,d4,c4,Nf3) like Karpov, Kasparov, Carlsen

lcmil

play e4 because black can play the Nimzo or Queens indian against d4. Plus the Open Sicilian is a ton of fun.

ViktorHNielsen

I like 1. e4 because of variety. 1.. c5 becomes sharp and nice, 1... e5 becomes the ruy lopez which is positionally complicated.

UnknownGone
nqi wrote:

I am a fan of 1d4, simply because it is Sicilian-proof. I never like going into the second move of a game with the feeling my opponent knows what the next twenty moves are going to be  

D4 = Better for defense.

E4 = Better for attack.

Attack && Defense are equal opposites. Not the tool, It's how it is used.

Which is better?

Neither. Use whatever it takes to win! - Happy Debates!

unterseegoat

I play 1.edc4gNf3 and I spend too much time studying. But I don't get bored playing the same thing every time so I think my way is better.

unterseegoat

Why can't it be a defense?

DrSpudnik
unterseegoat wrote:

Because white goes on the attack on move 1 if he knows what he's doing.

Having been assaulted by d4, I can attest that it is not defensive unless White doesn't have the guts to play aggressively.

UnknownGone
PositionalDude wrote:

D4 is better for defense?!?!??!? it's not a defense,it's a attacking tool and also a positional tool to play as white

You have no idea how patterns work, how positions work, don't bring up the entire elo debate, Point is: D4 Is Defensive. E4 Is An Attack. D4 IS Backed by the queen controlling center and is less pro-active due to E4 Being the best move for White. ... D4 Defensive/Less-Pro-Active. E4/Attack/Aggressive.

Cya.

UnknownGone
DrSpudnik wrote:
unterseegoat wrote:

Because white goes on the attack on move 1 if he knows what he's doing.

Having been assaulted by d4, I can attest that it is not defensive unless White doesn't have the guts to play aggressively.

I personally believe E4 is the best move for White.

Play it. Play for the win!

nameno1had
pfren wrote:

Sure, sure. 1.d4 is defensive, Lionel Messi is a goalkeeper, and flying pigs are green. We trust you on all that.

lol

sammynouri

1.d4 because the most common lines are queens gambit (my favourite) and KID which I always play as black against 1.d4. And honestly I don't see how 1.d4 is boring, 1.e4 leads to the four knights opening or the Italian too often (or a similar position) which are both boring and extremely annoying.