Forums

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Qc7

Sort:
AKJett

Opinions??

NeuroMind

I'm no chess expert by any means...but it seems like a reasonable opening to me, perhaps a sicilian hybrid? 

VULPES_VULPES

Can Pfren comment on this?

InfiniteFlash

doesn't white just play 3.c3 and play d4 next move?

AKJett

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Qc7 3.c3 Nf6 =

InfiniteFlash

Roeczak wrote:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Qc7 3.c3 Nf6 =

after 3..nf6 4.e5 Nd5 5.d4, where the Qc7 move doesn't appear to be obviously useful. tbh, i think white is a bit better, the Qc7 move compared to the normal nc6 (mainline alapin), seems to be not as effective.

It's not even this setup that seems a bit suspicious, I am sure that white has some closed sicilian setups in which the Qc7 move is not so useful in. 

SmyslovFan

I agree completely, pfren! This seems like another gambit idea for experienced Black players. If white tries to "punish" Black, it backfires. Otherwise, Black can probably gain a few minutes on the clock with his unusual move order.

The best way to really take advantage of the move order may be to aim for a Maroczy bind set up or simply play 3.c3. The problem with 3.c3 is that Black gets a playable game with 3...d6 4.d4 Nf6 5.Bd3 g6, as Polgar played against Smyslov. She won that game.

The Black Q often goes to c7 in the Sicilian. It may not be optimally placed there in Maroczy lines as in the game below.

Here, the game resembles a sort of King's Indian where the Black Q definitely was misplaced.

SmyslovFan

Yeah, Jempty, you could reach the game position via the same move order. It probably most closely resembles a Semi-Benoni structure where Black has wasted a move with Qc7.

I don't know why Pfren consideres 3.c3 to be objectively better than 3.c4. They both give white a very comfortable advantage. I personally prefer 3.c4 because I think it's easier to show that Blacks' Q is misplaced in those lines. But I'm not claiming an objective advantage for 3.c4 over 3.c3.

Subjectively, I expect Black is more ready to face 3.c3 Alapin ideas than 3.c4 Maroczy Bind plans.

SmyslovFan
pfren wrote:

I am sure that Vadim Svjaginsev, a very strong player and lover of the bizarre, had his tongue firmly in cheek when he invented 2.Na3 against the Sicilian.

Did you mean Zvjaginsev? He's beaten both Khalifman and Ponomariov with 2.Na3! WOW!

skakmadurinn

Normally Qc7 is played later in the game. 

For example the Taimanov variation

1. e4 - c5 2. Nf3 - e6 3. d4 - cxd4 4. Nxd4 - Nc6 5. Nc3 - a6 6. Be2 - Qc7  

AKJett

BTW, I am not even supporting 2...Qc7, I am an alapin player myself and i ve never played anything else than the alapin against the sicilian

I played 1.e4 c5 2.c3 Qc7 3.Nf3? (d4 +=) Nf6 and it lead to an equal position (pfren, what do you think of 1.e4 c5 2.c3 Qc7?)

AKJett

I am sure 1.e4 c5 2.c3 Qc7 is better for white

AKJett

BTW, when i played this as black peeps b3egan to throw things like 3.a3, 3.h3 and even 3.e5?

AKJett
AKJett
AKJett

15...exf5?

AKJett

BTW, why didnt black castle at all?

going to live chess to support the black side, if you find me there challenge me!

AKJett

for some reason i gambled 3 pawns and a rook and won

AKJett

lolz

AKJett

now, did quinteros forgot to castle???