Forums

A <600 Game I Saw At My Chess Club(opening)

Sort:
Live_For_Chess

chessgdt

after fxe5, isnt there bxg1?

ictavera

I'd say the bad move is 5.d4 Think about 5...Qh4+

chessgdt

The annotating up there is wrong.

ictavera

@Metaknight251 I'm just saying that the annotation says 5.d4 as a good move, when it isn't.

ictavera

If 6.Kd2 Bxd4 and black is better.

e4_guy

Isn't this position bad for white ? 

eddysallin
chessgdt wrote:

e4,e5,f4 Qh4+, pg3,pxp,nf3,Qxep+ and h1 rook is lost. Opening for white of e3 and f4 is best left for players w/ a lot of games .....too easy for a very bad ,and quit,lost!

Jadeite
eddysallin wrote:
chessgdt wrote:

e4,e5,f4 Qh4+, pg3,pxp,nf3,Qxep+ and h1 rook is lost. Opening for white of e3 and f4 is best left for players w/ a lot of games .....too easy for a very bad ,and quit,lost!

e4 e5 f4 Qh4+ g3 exf4?? gxh4 1-0

waffllemaster

Reminds me of my very first day at a real life chess club.  After about an hour I was in between games and walked over to two older gentlemen hunched over a position, with a few spectators around their board.  I looked at the position, and noticed white's rook was hanging.  It must be an intense position I thought.  I wanted to try to figure out why the rook coudln't be taken before the next move.

After a long thought black finally took the rook.  The white player jerked back in his seat!  Was the trap sprung I thought?!  White exclaimed "Oh!  I didn't see that!"

As I came to find out, it was not a strong club :)

kco
waffllemaster wrote:

Reminds me of my very first day at a real life chess club.  After about an hour I was in between games and walked over to two older gentlemen hunched over a position, with a few spectators around their board.  I looked at the position, and noticed white's rook was hanging.  It must be an intense position I thought.  I wanted to try to figure out why the rook coudln't be taken before the next move.

After a long thought black finally took the rook.  The white player jerked back in his seat!  Was the trap sprung I thought?!  White exclaimed "Oh!  I didn't see that!"

As I came to find out, it was not a strong club :)

Laughing, so did you join up another club ?

waffllemaster

No, I stayed in that one for ~9 years lol.  A lot of the casual players left quickly though, and a handful of tournament players remained.  At the time I was probably 1200-1300 strength.

I did start frequenting a club for a few years in there which offered me more competition though (aka gave me a beatdown).  Which was very beneficial.  I still visit a few times a year.

Today I'd love it if there were a club of masters I could go to and get beat up and free lessons in the post mortems.  Some of the most useful (to me) advice I've gotten has been after a game when they make some simple comment like "you shouldn't have opened the queenside like that" and I'm like "oooooooooooooohhhhh, that makes sense"

kco

Move to Europe.

waffllemaster

Too bad, it's far away :p

AndyClifton

So what exactly was the point of all this anyway...?

RigasUT

The annotating in this game is bad. 5. d4 is a blunder, 5... Qh4+ leaves Black with a large advantage and the ability to force a win. After the best reply 6. Ke2 6... d5! is the best move. If 7. dxe5 Black mates in 2 moves with 7... Qxe4+ and then 8... Qe3# or 8... Qxe3#, depending on White's reply. If White plays 7. dxe5, 7... Bg4+ is crushing. The only way for White to save the Queen is to play 8. Nf3, and after 8... dxe4 White is dead lost.  7. Nf3 seems the best reply, after which Black can answer with either 7... Qxe4+ or 7... Bg4 and easily win (7... Qxe4 seems better).

Obviously, the mistake is 5. d4.

Gil-Gandel
eddysallin wrote:
chessgdt wrote:

PALATR. 4. Nf3 deserves an infinite string of question marks.