Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Attacking The Colle?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #1

AnthonyCG

I am doing better against 1.e4 but now 1.d4 is a problem. I mostly get Colles and other systems where White plays c3. They are not a problem but I don't know any way to get tactical chances against it. The setup I use gets rid of the center but I am not sure how to continue afterwards.

Since positonal chess and endgames aren't cutting it for me right now is there a way to simply attack White instead?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #2

AnthonyCG

Firepower8 wrote:

so tell me why black did not play 44..b4 0-1 

Oops?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #3

AnthonyCG

I thought you were talking about 32...b4. That really does win LOL.

Anyway, this is a good no-risk setup that probably gives Black a better position but I really need to steer for tactical positions right now.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #4

AnthonyCG

alexlaw wrote:

well castle q side and start smashing the k side later

also it's good to delay castling a lil until white opens up himself with g4

Yes I would love to do that but with the knight stuck on d7 and the c-pawn hanging out there I'm not sure how to do that.  The problem is that I like to use the Czech benoni against 1.d4:

This creates a blocked position but both sides are trying to run the other side over with pawn breaks. It is the theory-free KID although it is more dangerous to play this way against experienced players.

Finding another setup would force me to play something else against 1.d4 and I don't want to memorize anything... Call me lazy but I don't like opening theory at all.

There is an alternate way that I've seen but I know nothing about it:

I don't know the differences of the bishop being on e7 or g7 but this is the only other way I know of to get this pawn structure.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #5

AnthonyCG

But if I want to use the Czech benoni I have to play c5 on move one or two.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #6

IrrationalTiger

The main problem that I see here (With no offense meant) is that you don't understand the reason for obtaining a space advantage or how to utilize a space advantage.  Look at the two positions below.  In one of them white has a clear advantage due to space, in the other white has a clear disadvantage due to being overextended.  In the first diagram black can even sacrifice on the spot with b5!? and a6 with tons of piece pressure on the queenside, or he can settle for pressure as white's center is too large for the reduced material.  In the second diagram, White will slowly prepare to play e5 and black's pieces are tangled up and awkward (diagrams from Simple Chess by Stean).  Instead of crushing your opponent, you allowed him to trade pieces and make his position easier to defend (although white was still losing for most of the game).  I admittedly only skimmed through the game, but I think a good illustration of this is around move 20 - white clearly wants to play Nd4 and then recapture with the pawn so that black can't invade d3 via the c5 square and dominate the whole board.  Black marks time with a5 instead of immediately playing Nc5-d3 and taking over the game (note that white can't try to grab the c pawn due to his weak back rank).  Even after 22. Rxd4? (22. cxd4 seems like a far better try, pinning the c-pawn and trying to get counterplay while shutting the knight out of d3) and 23. f3? black moves the knight back to the passive f6 instead of coming to c5 and d3, and then allows white to trade pieces and simplify the position.  With that being said, at a glance black's opening play was very strong and took over the game early - I don't know what more one could ask for. The last thing was the endgame - black was completely won, but didn't have the ability to convert the position.  Instead of 37... f4?! (after which black is still winning) it seems so much simpler to just play 37... h5 and fix more of white's pawns on dark squares with g4 next.  Also note that if white plays g4, black can just take take and play Ke4 with a won position (if Bd8, Ne5).  Sorry for the long post, and sorry if I'm overly critical.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #7

Estragon

What on earth are you dissatisfied with?  It can't be the opening - just look at the game after Black's 17th move.  I would have put my Rooks on e8 and d8 to be on the e-file, but your deployment isn't bad - and Black is already better here.  He is fully developed, no weaknesses, and his minor pieces are much better placed.  White is either going to lose time or have his Rooks disconnected for a while, and the only point he has to attack directly is d5, but he can't get a minor piece on it easily, so he can't really bring pressure.

There was no problem for Black in the opening here.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #8

OneEyedMonk

The Colle is the already super-solid Caro-Slav pawn structure, played without ambition (which is to say, even more solidly), and given the benefit of an extra move.

That's not to say it's a great opening for white.  It isn't.  What it does say, however, is that maybe a headlong bumrush into it isn't all that strategically sound an idea.

You've already got the idea.  Develop classically, and seize the initiative and the center when white doesn't.  It isn't a nuclear-grade attack, but it guarantees black at least equality out of the opening phase.  Take that and run.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #9

OneEyedMonk

Though if it genuinely makes you squirrelly to sit on your hands, you could probably continue 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.c3/e3...b5!?

Might not be 100% strategically hale, but it'll force the issue, take white way out of his comfort zone, and it clearly doesn't lose on the spot or anything.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #10

MarciaM

I think that since in the colle system the most important piece is the white light-squared bishop, a better way to play against this system could be an early development of the black bishop to f5. Another way to play against the Colle could be: Bb7 (Colle-Capablanca, Karlsbad, 1929).

• 24 months ago · Quote · #12

AnthonyCG

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really great at this positional stuff and that's why I really just prefer to attack unless I'm really sure of what I'm supposed to be doing. It's a lot easier...

Post your reply: