Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

basic opening question 1. d4 c3

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

EliasAStern

EDIT: IN THE TITLE I MEANT C6 NOT C3. MY APOLOGIES

I have to confess that when people play 1.d4 i have gotten into the habbit of playing c6 preparing to play d5 next. i find that maybe 70 percent of the time it usually transposes into the caro kahn and i find that i usually get an alright position. is there a reason this is a bad move. i cant find it in the opening data base which makes me really suspicious. thanks for the help

elias

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

OliverRainchild

Try 1.d4 c6 instead.  c3 is on white's side of the board.  1...c6 is an extremely common first move.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

EliasAStern

o really sorry. ill fix that right away :)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

jtd200

Hey IM pfren - I'm a caro player, and love my results with it for the most part...  Do you feel I should consider playing Slav, with all of the chances to transpose into the Caro?  I currently play the Nimzo/Queen's Indian/Benoni, depending upon white's 3rd move, and don't mind playing them, but I've always wondered if my reportoire should be more "thematic," rather than just picking openings I like...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

pellik

pfren wrote:

It's OK, although Black may play 2.c4 or 2.Nf3, when you have to play a Slav or Semi-Slav, and not a Caro Kan.

1...c6 is also a good answer against 1.c4 (although a recent book disputes that).

As someone who plays 1...c6 against 1.c4 I'm very curious to know what book and what it says.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

ghostofmaroczy

jtd200 wrote:

Hey IM pfren - I'm a caro player, and love my results with it for the most part...  Do you feel I should consider playing Slav, with all of the chances to transpose into the Caro?  I currently play the Nimzo/Queen's Indian/Benoni, depending upon white's 3rd move, and don't mind playing them, but I've always wondered if my reportoire should be more "thematic," rather than just picking openings I like...

Does the Slav ever transpose to the Caro?  Seems to me you would be better off playing the Semi-Tarrasch if you want to reach Panov-style IQP positions.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #8

jtd200

Hrm, good point - I guess I was thinking more of 1.d4 c6 lines, when if black plays e4 we have a normal Caro.

Post your reply: