Forums

Benko's Opening

Sort:
Data_Pillars

I'm very interested in the Benko's opening, (1.g3) and I was wondering if some1 could plz tell me about the theoory and ideas in the opening.

masteryoda

yes some people can.

unfortuanately, i am not one of those people

mcfischer
Data_Pillars wrote:

I'm very interested in the Benko's opening, (1.g3) and I was wondering if some1 could plz tell me about the theoory and ideas in the opening.

its highly transpositional. it would depend on what positions youre looking to go to.

all in all I like it. if youre a fan of fianchettod bishops and a safe king you should be right at home. the only reason it is not more popular is that it doesnt exert whites first move advantage on to black by force... but at a lower level I see no problems with it

Conquistador

The only drawback to 1.g3 as opposed to 1.Nf3 is that it is very committal.  This allows black the option of 1.g3 e5 which is probably black's strongest counter.  Overall, it is a fine opening if you like something simple.

stockportpawnpusher

To my mind the main advantages of 1g3 are psychological. We've all got a defence to 1e4 we know well and some of us have a defence to 1d4 as well. After 1 g3 Black has a vast array of replies but will he get a position he understands and is comfortable with?. I guess one of the main questions for Black is whether he is happy after 1g3 e5 2c4. Personally I wouldn't try the reversed Alekhines type positions as I feel they require great accuracy from White.

Data_Pillars

I actually think I'd be decent at handling the Alekhine's Defence Reversed, as the Alekhine is one of my main defences against e4 :)

EvgeniyZh

What do you think about 2... d4?

E.g. 1. g3 d5 2. Bg2 d4

Xanxi

Hi.

I am interested too in studying the Benko g3 opening. Is there a good book to read?

Best regards?

MNMSkyBlue
Xanxi wrote:

Hi.

I am interested too in studying the Benko g3 opening. Is there a good book to read?

Best regards?

Where did you find this thread??? It's over 5 years old!!

Xanxi

No matter how old it is, Google ranks it on the first page.

1MARIO

book on 1.g3: "the white sniper manual" by Charly Storey....sort of expensive...pdf downloadable file for 50.00 us dlls...???? ....hope somebody shares more information...best

Rooookai

GWTR
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1044543
A-mateur
Susik_Gaboyan a écrit :

If you want to play for black I suggest you this course https://chessmood.com/course/benko-gambit I learned it from here and I get very interesting positions for black, not only after g3 he showes all possible moves for white against Benko, good luck.

But this thread is about the Benko opening, not the Benko gambit, right? 

darkunorthodox88

its one of the most sound unorthodox openings, and like 1.nc3 allows both for transpositions galore and quite a few independent lines. 

the only inconvenience is that black can play many boring solid formations at leisure and there is not that much white can do  to press for much of an advantage . White cant force black to go for the e5 d5 center which is where most of the interesting independent lines are. At least with 1.nc3 if black plays too modestly, you can always transpose to a mainstream king pawn or even queen pawn opening and claim a more substantive edge.

FizzyBand
A-mateur wrote:
Susik_Gaboyan a écrit :

If you want to play for black I suggest you this course https://chessmood.com/course/benko-gambit I learned it from here and I get very interesting positions for black, not only after g3 he showes all possible moves for white against Benko, good luck.

But this thread is about the Benko opening, not the Benko gambit, right? 

Yeah it’s an advertisement. I have seen the same member bump several threads on the Benko (Gambit) to advertise and so it would be easy to mistakenly write in a Benko (1.g3) thread if you’re just advertising (and perhaps not reading)