Forums

Caro-Kann: Panov-Botvinnik Attack

Sort:
zerogravity77

I play the caro-kann defense as black, and I am looking for a line against the panov-botvinnik attack. Can anybody with caro-kann experience suggest a line for me to play? It would also be great if you could tell me what kind of game the line leads to.

Extra: It would be helpful if anybody can tell me any other crucial lines that I should know about. Thanks!Laughing

zerogravity77

Never!!

fatymid

It's like Queen's Gambit without e and c pawn, so play it like a QG.

zerogravity77

It's too bad that I can't pellik. I don't have access to those videos.

zerogravity77

ehh. Can only find the free versions which don't really say anything.

DrSpudnik

Some lines of the Panov fade directly into the Semi-Slav.

The e6 line allows the early Bb4, which puts pressure on one of White's active pieces in an ugly pin. Frown One thing to watch for is the odd move order 1.e4 c6 2.c4, where White puts off d4 until it's safe and tries to get Black to commit to e6 when he doesn't have a pin and shuts in his light square Bishop.

azziralc

I don't have much respect in this line because it will left White an Isolated d-pawn which will be the target of Black in the game.

zerogravity77

Thanks 1random but just one question. Is the open file the compensation black gets after qxe5 xg5 qxg5?

DrSpudnik

a ridiculous and highly unlikely continuation.

zerogravity77

DrSpudnik, you might be right, however then could you show me a better line for black against the panov?

zerogravity77

who won that game?

Da-Novelty

Here is a line for black against caro kann panov attack

If you need more explaination into this line, let me know

zerogravity77

Thanks, I think I might actually go woth that line. But I'm just wondering if white can play anything other then Qb3

Expertise87

He messed up the line, White plays Qxb5 and then Black often plays Qd7, where White can take on d5, check on g5, and take on d7. I prefer Nxc3 after Qxb5 personally.

AngryMacrophage

This is also viable:

The main ideas here are the development of the light squared bishop to b7 and the Queen's knight to d7. I am not arguing that the move order shown above is the best way to achieve [edit: it is definitely not as it loses a piece- see below for a better option] this but it does give black a reasonable equality (a slightly better pawn structure for a little less piece activity). Black could aim to encourage minor piece trades here with something like h6 followed by move aimed at releasing the pin and claiming the open file for the rooks.

edit: I missed 11 Bxh7. I suggest playing h6 before castling.

zerogravity77

After b6 you lose a piece with qa4

AngryMacrophage

Sorry, I was rushing while writing the post. This is the a better move order that doesn't automatically lose:

Having the bishop on the long diagonal goes someway towards mitigating white's advantage of greater piece activity while the knight can help defend the kingside if placed on d7 instead of c6. The cxd5 lines lead to Re8+ as shown in the sidelines above which generally look good for black. In the comments I mean "looks strong" from a player's point of view in a game. I don't mean to say that the lines are actually good for white. Nevertheless, passive play from black after Re8+ could lead to white's central king becoming an advantage in an endgame.

There may still be some small mistakes here as this is all worked out from memory. Let me know if there are any please.

Ilusha

Yunni, first line is nonsense, second is real but its a side line, ill show you in class what to do but yoga try to research it further.

AngryMacrophage
Ilusha wrote:

Yunni, first line is nonsense, second is real but its a side line, ill show you in class what to do but yoga try to research it further.

Chessgames.com gives an impressive winrate for white of 37.8% in the panov botivinnik attack out of 2430 games, suggesting that the mainlines are in need of improvement. My impressions from looking at recent games are that most black wins appear to be due to at least one of four things: 1. White trying something dubious like c4-c5. 2. White trading off his/her pieces early on. 3. Black choosing a structure similar to what I have presented above. 4. Black playing the g6 lines and fianchettoing in front of his king.

In short, it looks like black doesn't do well with the traditional main lines.

Rykba 2.3.2 gives the final position in my previous post exact equality at 6 ply which suggests that it is a reasonable approach. I haven't analysed the other lines with a computer yet. There might be some stronger resources earlier on for white than what I have shown but I will leave them for others to find.

Sidelines also have the advantage of being less common and therefore the opponent will probably have less experience with them - a definite plus for over the board play.

zerogravity77

Well AngryMacrophage, will arguing with 2200 do any good?