Forums

Choose:Trompovsky or King's Indian Attack?

Sort:
lobosolo21

Chess is your chief hobby and want to improve and achieve quickly at it;let's say you've got a strong middlegame and a decent endgame technique,but don't have enough time in your daily life to throw away to the opening study as it should,what would be your choice between the King's Indian Attack and The Trompovsky?  Thanks in advanced to everyone for your comments...

ericmittens

Trompowsky.

It's theoretically better for white than the KIA, also you'll get a greater diversity of positions...so you won't get bored.

VLaurenT

Both are valid choices, though KIA is probably easier to play if you don't intend to spend time studying the opening.

However, I agree with Eric that Trompovsky gives greater variety.

BaronDerKilt

Wow, now I really feel old... I don't think there Was Tromp theory when I started playing chess and I've missed out on it all. (Which is not to say I don't believe what Eric said) Tho the Veresov or aka Richter-Veresov had its day back in the 80's, locally anyway. 

GM's Kamsky and Hodgson(Eng.) both play the Tromp I think. Fischer played the KIA, but only early on. Then again Fischer was winning US Champs early on. Still I can't think of any GM's that are regular KIA players. Are there?

Really tho, the positions are going to be quite different. One is a d4 opening, the other more a closed e4 opening. One more classical, the KIA more hypermodern. You may want to just see which suits you better. Whether that means "Scores better" or "feels more natural". Probably the same thing.

Also, the KIA covers a lot more ground in a repetoire, if that is what you need. You could play it as WT, always. But I would not be expecting to play it and take any Master scalps because of "he was Surprised by it". Know what I mean? :)

VLaurenT

Well, I wouldn't really call the Tromp a classical opening : what do you think of the way white handles opening principles in this game ? Smile

lobosolo21
BaronDerKilt wrote:

Wow, now I really feel old... I don't think there Was Tromp theory when I started playing chess and I've missed out on it all. (Which is not to say I don't believe what Eric said) Tho the Veresov or aka Richter-Veresov had its day back in the 80's, locally anyway. 

GM's Kamsky and Hodgson(Eng.) both play the Tromp I think. Fischer played the KIA, but only early on. Then again Fischer was winning US Champs early on. Still I can't think of any GM's that are regular KIA players. Are there?

Really tho, the positions are going to be quite different. One is a d4 opening, the other more a closed e4 opening. One more classical, the KIA more hypermodern. You may want to just see which suits you better. Whether that means "Scores better" or "feels more natural". Probably the same thing.

Also, the KIA covers a lot more ground in a repetoire, if that is what you need. You could play it as WT, always. But I would not be expecting to play it and take any Master scalps because of "he was Surprised by it". Know what I mean? :)

Thanks for the contribution Baron,and yes,Hodgson is known as " The Dean of The Trompovsky " for his lethal results in tournament play with with his beloved Tromp.

lobosolo21

hicetnunc,thx for the game,it's been very useful to me...Smile

santiR

against the trompowsky, play 2... Ne4.  

dc1985

For me, the King's Indian Attack. I don't know the Trompovsky, so I'll stick with what I know.

KillaBeez

I like the KIA better than the Trompowsky.  It is a good and reliable opening that won't let you down.

bigdoug
ghostlyknight wrote:

Chess is your chief hobby and want to improve and achieve quickly at it;let's say you've got a strong middlegame and a decent endgame technique,but don't have enough time in your daily life to throw away to the opening study as it should,what would be your choice between the King's Indian Attack and The Trompovsky?  Thanks in advanced to everyone for your comments...

Face it dude, you ARE going to throw away all the time in your daily life, just like the rest of us.  So you might as well play 1 e4 or 1 d4! Wink

BaronDerKilt

ghostlyknight~!

What did you decide to try?

lobosolo21

At the moment I'm playing the KIA;as you can see in my games I have won several with it,but it also offers interesting chances for Black if the opponent is well acquainted with some variations;that' why I'm planning to switch (or combine the two systems) to the Trompovsky.

xhitman9

I also try to learn KIA as backup opening. I like playing e4.

i have no time studying against sicilian.

ncrewments

the tromp is my choice. a little less (this doesnt mean none) theory involved than knowing the multitude of replies to queens gambit type games.

lobosolo21
ncrewments wrote:

the tromp is my choice. a little less (this doesnt mean none) theory involved than knowing the multitude of replies to queens gambit type games.

Thanks.I think the Tromp. could be a lethal weapon in tournament play if one is well acquainted with its theory.

lobosolo21
ncrewments wrote:

Thanks.I think the Tromp. could be a lethal weapon in tournament play if one is well acquainted with its theory.

VLaurenT

An important point to consider is that KIA covers pretty much anything (especially if you start with 1.Nf3 rather than 1.e4), while Trompovsky isn't enough to play against 1.d4 d5!?

lobosolo21
hicetnunc wrote:

An important point to consider is that KIA covers pretty much anything (especially if you start with 1.Nf3 rather than 1.e4), while Trompovsky isn't enough to play against 1.d4 d5!?

Against 1.d4 d5,I play 2.Bg5!?

Moonspell_RO
Benefactor wrote:
hicetnunc wrote:

Against 1.d4 d5,I play 2.Bg5!?

That doesn't make sense at all, in my opinion.

Play the KIA!