Forums

Dealing with the Dutch?

Sort:
ja734

im a d4 player, but i dont have much experience against the dutch, as i find not that many people play it. There is one guy at the club I go to who plays it (more specifically he plays the leningrad) exclusively against d4 however, and I was wondering if there were any good lines against it where I dont need to know a ton of theory that give white a good position.

chesshole

http://www.chess.com/opening/eco/A80_Dutch_Defense_Hopton_Attack

najdorf96

In my experience, playing mainline is the only way to go. Knowing what variation he tends to play is very helpful. The trick is to familiarize yourself with the positions. For instance, bone-up on this line:

1. d4 f5 2. c4 Nf6 3. g3 g6 4. Bg2 Bg7 5. Nh3 OO [5. .. d6 6. d5 c6 7. Nf4 e5 8. dxe6 Na6 9. Nc3 Nc5 10. h4!] 6. Nc3 d6 7. d5 etc..i'm sure you can look it up in any database.

Anyways, my point is, don't take the ez way out by soliciting for an "bust". Take the bull by the horns and play confidently in his "backyard". You'll be better off in the long run. Best of luck.

TitanCG

2nd move alternatives are nice but you need to have an idea how you want to meet moves like 1...e6 and 1...d6 with the idea of 2...f5. 

DD71

i like to play Dutch defense against d4

day_widni69

I just ignore them; nasty people.