Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Development

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1

nightwenevermet

I was reading that Lasker said: "In the opening one ot two pawn moves, not more. "

What does this mean? does it mean that in the whole opening I should maximum move two pawns? does this make sense nowadays? the sicilian could be 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 in which black has already made 3 pawn moves in the first 3 moves. is it considered bad according to Lasker? I feel that there is something that I don't understand in this remark. I hope someone can clarify it to me.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #2

Fear_ItseIf

its a rule of thumb, chess is a game of exceptions, the sicilian is an exception.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #3

shepi13

Well, cxd4 is a capture, and like fear itself said, there are exceptions. But for example take the classical sicilian richter rauzer attack:

I believe one should follow Nimzowitzch's ideas even more . One should make every move a developing move. A pawn move does not count as a developing move, but rather a move that helps development, etc. So rather than moving pawns focus on developing, but it is necesarry to move some pawns in order to be able to develop.

Post your reply: