Forums

Does anyone know how to put life into the petroff

Sort:
StevenBailey13

I have heard about the petroff's terrible reputation for drawing and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to liven up this opening for white?

AdamRinkleff

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nxf7!

GasconJR

mmm with the white pieces there is a lot of ways of sharp the Petroff. I am IM and i can suggested an interesting idea to you: 1. e4, e5 2. Cf3, Cf6 3. Cxe5, d6 4. Cxf7!? Is a subestimated variation but using Rybka, Fritz some other chess engine you will realize that is perfectly playable and Sharps the position from the beginning

AdamRinkleff

Great minds think alike!

StevenBailey13

the sacrifice seems interesting, what are the ideas behind it?

chessteenager

This is my personal favorate line. THe doubled pawns arent weak. The bishops get an open position and black is under developed

SmyslovFan

Short answer: play the positions out. Grandmasters agree to draws when there are still quite a few pieces on the board. Just play out the equal position. As Magnus Carlsen has shown, the will to win is often enough.

StevenBailey13

True but if black can calmly develop his pieces and trade couldn't he win the ending with the doubled pawns?

ItsEoin

So don't let him trade. That Nxf7 sac is called the Cochrane Gambit, btw, and is played right up to the highest level.

shontavis456

youmsurley do got

that

shontavis456

wat up every body wats been goin on with you guys today

DrSpudnik

OTB I play the Cochrane Gambit (It's hell to try to solve in a couple hours) but in these computer correspondence games I play 3. Nc3 and head for the 4 Knights. Give them a dose of their own medicine. Laughing

Ricardo_Morro

I like 3. d4 in the Petroff.

blasterdragon

i like bring the bishop to c4

AndyClifton

Putting petrol in the Petroff!  This I like.

AndyClifton
JRgascon wrote:

I am IM

Instant Messenger?

AndyClifton

I would much rather go OTB than overboard!

Expertise87

3.Nc3 can also lead to a lively game depending on your style.

StevenBailey13

Arloest wrote:

Who is trying to liven it up, though?  Did you want ideas for white or black?

I would like ideas for white

StevenBailey13

True, thanks!! I just won a game with the sacrifice suggested by many of Nxf7