Forums

e4 opening questions

Sort:
Laz151121982

Hi chess.com people I would like some advice on a few opening lines concerning the move e4 which I always play as white.

I will show a few lines

snip3z
pfren wrote:

First diagram: White is much worse, if not losing by force.

Second one: A complex, very messy  position, where Black has enough for his pawn. Quite trendy recently.

First diagram, white is actually fine. After 11. Nxd5 Kd6(best move for black) 12. Re1 c6 (next best move) 13. Rxe5 and white is fine. Go over the line with a computer program and just learn the first 13 best moves for both colours and some of the side lines up to move 13. Then you should be sweet

Laz151121982

I want to stop doing the fried liver attack all the time as it takes me lots of calculation (especially in the first line) so I looked on chess.com games explorer and was surprised to see that the most popular move on move 4 is d3 (trapping the bishop). I have had good success playing against this line when playing with black by simply offering up a pawn for the good light bishop.

I am looking to play a more positional game with white against the 2 knights defence if this is possible without losing my bishop pair in the open. 

Is this possible?? Does anyone have any suggestions pls ?? 

Thanks alot

snip3z

Play that ^

Laz151121982

Yes I agree with snip3z. This game has been played by masters a few times on the database with success.

Also there is the possibility on move 9 to play the safer option Bb3

gambiteer12

4.d3 does not lose the bishop pair as the Nc6 is the only defender of the e5 pawn and black would like to play Bc5 before d6. After 4.d3 Bc5 5.c3 d6 white can play 6.Bc2 if he wants to preserve his bishop. I prefer 6.O-O as black is unlikely to waste time with Na5 anyway.

Laz151121982

Not that I would know as much as you pfren but Roman Dzintiavilly believes that diagram 2 white is better and has devoted a dvd to this opening

Laz151121982

gambiteer I found out by luck on the chess.com analysis that the Nc6 going to Na5 is a book move. I do not know what this is called though. In the game I just thought I had blundered a pawn but post mortem the analysis said it was a book move. 

I will look on games explorer now to see if it has a name

snip3z
pfren wrote:
snip3z wrote:

First diagram, white is actually fine. After 11. Nxd5 Kd6(best move for black) 12. Re1 c6 (next best move) 13. Rxe5 and white is fine. Go over the line with a computer program and just learn the first 13 best moves for both colours and some of the side lines up to move 13. Then you should be sweet

11...Kd6 is a lemon, not a "best move"!

Buecker's 11...c6 is probably better for Black, but this is of little significance.

After 11...Qh4 white's best is playing a piece down by 12.Nb6+ (the ending after 12.Nxc7+ Kd7 13.Qf7+ Qe7 is just lost) 13.Nxc8+! Rxc8 14.d3, when he has some faint hopes to survive.

11. Kd6 is apparently the best move suggested by Deep Rybka 4.

snip3z
pfren wrote:
snip3z wrote:

11. Kd6 is apparently the best move suggested by Deep Rybka 4.

Nobody gives the slightest **** about Rybka's stupid evaluations.

11...Qh4 virtually wins by force.Check it.

11. ... Qh4? Give me the whole line and I'll check it

Laz151121982

No there is no name to the Na5 move lol.

But the position has come up in 27 master games which makes me feel a bit betterCool.

pfren I did not buy the dvd but heard Roman talk about it on one of the chess.com lectures.

I have faith that he knows what he is talking about but do not have the money to spend.

My main question is then please let's not go on a tangent.

What would be a good positional opening against the two knights defence after

e4 e5, Nf3 Nc6, Bc4 Nf6.

Any suggestions would be very much apprieciated

snip3z
pfren wrote:
snip3z wrote:

11. ... Qh4? Give me the whole line and I'll check it

Why should I?

Just because you're an IM doesn't mean you have to be arrogant about it. I thought IM's are meant to be 2400 or higher in the FIDE rating list?

Laz151121982

Please calm down people we have gone off topic lol Yell.

Here is how I would play to 11..Qh4

superpejo

Pfren , in 1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6...  i prefer max lange attack or gambit evans , what do you think about it ?  i like very much max lange and gambit evans better than guouco piano , giouco pianisimo or fried liver attack

jaminfletcher
i think there are a lot aof good moves for white in this opening...  I would not be quick to stop playing it as white...
cradon5953

All of the time it leads to a mate almost guaranteed

Jambie27

PLAY THE PONZIANI

eddysallin

phren +1, patzers o...... good stuff to watch. Lifes tough when u have to do alll the work.

eddysallin
cradon5953 wrote:

All of the time it leads to a mate almost guaranteed

i think falling into g8 hole kind of helps----