Forums

e4 or d4?

Sort:
Starman_Skullz

E4

Sofademon
Benkobaby wrote:

Not that this topic hasn't been "thrashed to death" but ... I'll take a stab. 1.e4 players are orthodox, evangelical, nut cases; they need their daddy; something they've never had and will never know. 1. d4 players are limp wristed caricatures of hand bag carrying nancy boys; which is why they need their mommy. It all revolves around correct parenting. 

Tough ... very tough

I damn near blew my soda out my nose at reading that.  Brightened up my whole day.

Seriously, however, although this is a gross oversimplification, e4 openings more often (not always, but more often) lead to open positions where direct attacks and tactics are more critical.  d4 openings, because the d pawn is protected by the queen, tend to build up more slowly.  That's not to say that tactics are not important, and if you are not paying attention to tactics you can still get your rear end handed to you in a small handbag, but in general the d4 openings are a little less trapish, a little more likely to aim for a gradual build up of the position.

Current trends are that at grandmaster levels d4 is probably a bit more popular than e4, but you certainly see plenty of both.

Personally, I like to push the pawn on the K file to start the game, which generally confuses the opponent to such a degree I can swipe one of his his horseys and stick it in my pocket while he is trying to figure out what I am doing. 

Atos
dracula1939 wrote:

I have 150 chess books all the latest grandmaster games,so believe me when i say E4 is a popular opening  its leads to the RUY LOPEZ, the Siciian Defence,French Defence ,Pirc Defence,and many other openings.If you were to read NEW IN CHESS you will understand.

Hm yes, and you play for blood ?

brocolli639

One thing I hate about e4 is having your opponent being very familiar to this opening.

Aside from this, I like e4 that 99% of my games is just like that. My profile picture proved it.

SchuBomb
dracula1939 wrote:

I have 150 chess books all the latest grandmaster games,so believe me when i say E4 is a popular opening  its leads to the RUY LOPEZ, the Siciian Defence,French Defence ,Pirc Defence,and many other openings.If you were to read NEW IN CHESS you will understand.

I don't know if I believe you. I don't really think e4 is a popular opening at all. I mean, everyone knows that the sicilian is shunned by everyone now, at all levels.

Salaskan

The pawn on e4 is not protected, so black responds 1...c5! followed by attacking the e-pawn with Nf6, Nbd7-c5, Bb7, Qa8, d5 etc. Therefore 1.d4 is better.

kisdobos

The openings are just a way of expression of your inner self. Some like direct approach some like covert operations. For other people an evolution of learning, experimenting. The 10 thousand ours that we all have to play to become masters will include all the openings. As long as you get the desired result you will stick with one and then move on. it is just a matter of time before you will find out what suits  your playing style at what point in your life. All of them are good.

moonlight333

D4 all the way much more richer in beauty and postiontinal and tactiical lines...  e4 is studied way too much