Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Easiest opening to learn for beginners ..

• 2 years ago · #104

ratatouie

sign me up!!!

• 2 years ago · #105

pellik

BruceBenedict wrote:

What do you have against John Woo?

What do you have against line dancing?

• 2 years ago · #106

pellik

Presumably somewhere, somehow, there are line dancers that are not against line dancing.

• 2 years ago · #107

MSC157

I started with this one:

• 2 years ago · #108

The_Gavinator

That, the Italian Game, is what most beginners should play. It simply develops pieces, allows them to castle, and have a good game.

• 2 years ago · #110

MSC157

pfren wrote:

This is the well-known inaccuracy which allows 4...Nxe4 with a good game for Black- although Black's best line is not the one most authorities suggest.

Yeah, true! But we're talking about beginners. After 5.O-O Nxc3 6.dxc3 Bc5? 7.Ng5 O-O? 8.Qh5 and possibilities for quick mate.

• 2 years ago · #115

Scottrf

Excellent post Bankwell.

• 2 years ago · #117

Scottrf

FLchessplayer wrote:

Bankwell - obviously - came in here to sound off and look foolish, in this regard, he succeeded magnificently. 

No, I just don't think people got the intent of his post.

• 2 years ago · #118

AugieFreebird

I suspect it's BS, but it's a tidy little piece of advertising.

Business rule #1, there's always profit in being there to provide water to the thirsty crowd.

• 2 years ago · #119

madhacker

I'm not saying I'm definitely right here, and I'm open to other ideas. Plus I only coach juniors and don't have any experience with novice adults. But...

I find from experience that the best approach is to allow them to choose their own openings (within reason, if they play something completely daft I would suggest them changing it) and then teach them to play those chosen openings well.

Rationale: if they personally like their opening, then they are more likely to want to learn it, and will pay more attention to improving. If they feel the opening is imposed on them, they are more likely to just go through the motions of pretending to learn it, whilst actually all they are doing is memorising sequences of moves without trying to understand what's actually going on.

• 2 years ago · #120

AnthonyCG

Like learning the guitar...

This forum topic has been locked.