Forums

Fishing Pole Trap

Sort:
shutupIknowIsuck

The Fishing Pole Trap is a very good trap which checkmates your opponent in the opening. This trap can have variations which, still, checkmates the opponent's king.

I've never used the trap before but I hope this helps you to play against Ruy Lopez players! Feel free to comment what you have in mind and to notify me to do more trap reviews! 

Scottrf

Had a nice miniature in this line (annotations are old so not sure of accuracy).

Scottrf

Thanks.

@hqfull_23

Some general advice: When offering a sacrifice, you not only have to consider what happens if it's taken, but also if it's declined.

Here, you're probably just wasting time because the knight will likely have to retreat at some point, or white is threatening to take at a time it is safe.

InsanePlayer99

Well, now I know the trap that thrashed me when I was trying out the Ruy Lopez after watching a video lesson on it. I now vow that I will never ever fall for this vicious trap again, and instead let some other Ruy Lopez players out there a taste of it ;) . Anyway thanks for the information.

baddogno

Very pretty game Scottrf, thanks.

shutupIknowIsuck

@Scottrf If I was Thetinkerman, I could've resigned after 16. Rxe5+!. I can't see a very good counterplay for Black after that.

Hadron

This h5 move was given by Alapin in the exchange Lopez way back when and is nothing new. I am to some extent with cruelpulseI here because I for the life of me do not understand why people attempt to kick the Knight way with h3 immediately. Just look at the game given by Scottrf, If you simply ignore the g4 knight and play in the middle, it looks like Black has a hard job to prove the worth of the plan Ng8->f6->g4->to ??

blasterdragon

yes h3 tries to bait black into playing his own bait! :D but of course white declines and has a better position.

Hadron
pfren wrote:

Oh no, not another thread about a kindergarten ultra-cheapo.

LOL....Oh no you better not let Brian Wall and his acolytes hear you say that.....You do know that he is a Life Master too!....

Gugajrf

I won a game with that trap in a correspondence game but the trap with the ruy lopez is easier to be spoted than if you play the trap in the sicilian. In faster time controls is very tough to see it if you dont know it

shutupIknowIsuck
Gugajrf wrote:

I won a game with that trap in a correspondence game but the trap with the ruy lopez is easier to be spoted than if you play the trap in the sicilian. In faster time controls is very tough to see it if you dont know it

I actually remembered the moves, before I researched the trap, and tried to look it up on Google. There ,also I found, the other variations of the said trap and used them to put more information on my post. I've despised the Ruy Lopez after I fell to that trap TWICE.