World #5 GM Hikaru Nakamura and Rybka take on Stockfish! Live on Chess/TV and Open to ALL MEMBERS! Click here to watch!
Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

g4 Type Moves

• 5 years ago · Quote · #1

chess886

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 5 years ago · Quote · #2

DrawMaster

I'm guessing he's referring to an increase in the number of high-level games and lines where White appears to be able to launch a kingside attack (with moves like g4) and get away with it. If you look back over earlier games in the history of GM chess, the original poster would contend you'd find fewer of these. I know that many folk often shuddered when Gary Kasparov would (all of a sudden, it would seem) launch a K-side attack with h4 or g4. So, this is my guess as to what the original poster is speaking to.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #3

Chess_Enigma

From what I understand is that GM theory now a days is solid variations and not vague principals. They basically took what Botvinik and others were figuring out in openings like the Winnawer (what french player would part with his black bishop on move 5 ?!) and applied it to everything. I beleive the g4 moves he is talking about are the pawn sacrifices for white in the semi-slav and phillidor defense.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #4

Cutebold

There is also the Perenyi and Keres in the Sicilian Scheveningen, featuring a g4 early on to bring the game into fighting lines. An f3-g4 manuever is also prominently featured in the English Attack of the Najdorf Variation. Sharp chess generally results from this!

• 5 years ago · Quote · #5

shuttlechess92

phillidor's defense!

• 5 years ago · Quote · #6

Estragon

Gonnosuke wrote:

The first that comes to mind is the Shabalov Attack variation of the Semi-Slav:

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 3.c4 c6 4.Nc3 e6 5.e3 Nbd7 6.Qc2 Bd6 7.g4!?

I've seen it called the Anti-Meran Latvian Bayonet (Chesspub) and also referred to as the Shabalov-Shirov Attack.

Speaking of Bayonet Attacks there's also a variation in the Caro-Kann Advance: 

1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 Bf5 4.Nc3 e6 5.g4!?

I'm guessing that the most popular g4 spike (and possibly most effective!) is the Keres Attack against the Scheveningen.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e6 6.g4!

This (the Shabalov-Shirov line) is without doubt the variation which inspired his comment.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #7

Scarblac

There's also this line in the English:

• 5 years ago · Quote · #8

karpov444

So what would be the long-term (or short-term) plan in playing a move like g4?

• 5 years ago · Quote · #9

DrizztD

iDraw3G wrote:

So what would be the long-term (or short-term) plan in playing a move like g4?

Generally, when a move like g4 is played, it declares the players intension of forsaking king safety (in some cases, in others white has already castled queenside) and going for a kingside attack.

Post your reply: