Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Good Openings for a Positional Player?

• 23 months ago · Quote · #21

transpo

LavaRook wrote:

@Transpo

"The Advance is nowadays considered a fairly harmless continuation against the Caro-Kann defense.  If Black plays sensibly he should have little trouble reaching a middlegame with equal chances."

The Advance Caro is the most played continuation these days (not necessarily the one with the MOST games--its the one which has the highest "HOT" bar if you are familiar with CB 11) according to Megabase.

I think you are confusing the Advance Caro-Kann with the Advance French.

First, I have been playing the Caro-Kann as part of my repertoire for many years now.  I don't play the French Defense.  It is possible in some variations of the Advance Caro-Kann, if Black allows it for the game to transpose into a bad variation of the Advance French Defense.  For instance after 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 e6? Black has saddled himself with a bad variation, for Black, of the Advance French Defense because of the pointless ...c6. 

You wrote, "...The Advance Caro is the most played continuation these days according to Megabase.  Yes I am familiar with Megabase. I own Chessbase's 5 million+ game database in pgn.  Moves and opening variations gain and lose favor over the years.  That doesn't validate them as the variation to play because one color or the other's defense has been refuted or somehow compromised.   On the contrary in many ways with the move 3.e5 White has made Black's job alot easier.

Maybe you should try to refute on or more of the variations I wrote in my post.   

• 23 months ago · Quote · #22

LavaRook

I never said you should or should not play 3.e5. I was just saying its not fairly harmless....

• 23 months ago · Quote · #23

transpo

LavaRook wrote:

I never said you should or should not play 3.e5. I was just saying its not fairly harmless....

President Bush Sr. personally appeared via video on Saturday Night Live, just to let everybody, especially David Spade, know that, "... I never said, Na Ga Da..."  What I said was, "...Not going to do that, wouldn't be prudent..."   

• 23 months ago · Quote · #24

ApexKiller

I like the Semi Slav as well

Post your reply: