Forums

Hippo as white

Sort:
darthmikjod

I am hoping someone can help. I am looking for anything that has info on the hippo as white. I have found numerous items on the hippo defense, but cannot find anything on the hippo as white. I know there are various openings people call the hippo, but I am looking for information with pawns being at a3,b3,d3,e3,g3,and h3....the bishops at b2and g2, and the knights at d2 and e2. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it.

Expertise87

My info is that it's not very good.

darthmikjod

I know that it is not the most advantageous opening, but I like to play quirky openings, and am looking if anyone knows a website or something that has some info

nimzovitch2013

You may already be aware of what I'm about to type out on the keyboard, but just in case you aren't here goes.

There's a couple of Hippo groups at this site. One indicates it formed back in 2009, I don't know if it's still active or not. Another indicates it formed in January of this year. 

There are a couple of relatively recent books on the Hippo - one is Tiger's Modern (he has a chapter in the book just on the Hippo) and the other book is The Hippopotamus Rises. The chapter in the Tiger's Modern is more informative than The Hippopotamus Rises. 

Concerning info specifically on playing the Hippo as white I'm not aware of any books or websites. However, it doesn't seem to me that the Hippo is tempo sensitive, it appears to mainly be a wait and react setup, no matter which side it's played from. 

I was interested in playing the Hippo as both white and black. I wanted to avoid having to mess with the theory of other openings and learn to understand the Hippo better than others would. I figured even if I took my lumps from time to time it would work out more often if I developed my understanding well enough. I loved the idea of playing the HIppo from both sides. But eventually I gave up on the idea, it was too tough an effort for me. I don't know if it can be done without dropping a lot of rating points. 

Instead, although I've been messing around with different defenses and openings, I intend to now begin playing nothing but the London ( 2 Bf4 version), 4...Qb6 Slav, and 3...Qd8 Scandinavian (except when an opponent forces me to play a different type setup). A relatively passive repertoire but solid, similiar setups, and low theory.  

darthmikjod

Thanks, I saw that there was a couple of groups, but they are not active.  On a seperate note I have played the London System and I play the 2. Nf6 Scandinavian usually

Fear_ItseIf

i dont understand the appeal of the hippo, theres plenty of theoryless systems that are actually fun the play.

TetsuoShima

i wouldnt even want to play the hippo as black

Eric_Briffoz
darthmikjod wrote:

I am hoping someone can help. I am looking for anything that has info on the hippo as white. I have found numerous items on the hippo defense, but cannot find anything on the hippo as white. I know there are various openings people call the hippo, but I am looking for information with pawns being at a3,b3,d3,e3,g3,and h3....the bishops at b2and g2, and the knights at d2 and e2. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it.

There is a new book on the hippo from both sides (as a defence and reversed as white, aka hippo attack).

It is available on Amazon with a preview.

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Guide-Hippo-Attack-Defence/dp/1973974428/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501499189

For your information, Grandmasters Tiger Hillarp and GM Pavel Blatny both use it as white, so it cannot be bad. 

Normally the kindle format should be available as well.

I hope it helps. 

Eric_Briffoz

The hippo was played by Kasparov against Short in Leuven.

Eric_Briffoz

Like many GM's, I believe a lot in the hippo as white.

Eric_Briffoz
dimis283 wrote:

Someone played hippo against me as white ,years ago at a rapid,as I remember I won but I remeber I had a difficult time to play for a win as black at the middlegame.But if you want to play the Hippo as white why you do not give a try at the king indian attack ( you will find more information)?

You are correct, the King's Indian Attack is a very interesting opening and there is plenty of information about it, especially since Fischer's adoption. I used to play it quite often with pretty good results. But then I started to play b4 (the Sokolsky) with correct results. In the future, however I might investigate the Grob (1.g4) which is probably not as bad as people say. 

Lippy-Lion

The hippo as white does not really have theory, none is needed which is the beauty of it. All that is needed is understanding of chess. The same as when black plays it.

Basically play the usual moves, then see what black has done and proceed accordingly. 

Eric_Briffoz

Nc3always wrote:

The hippo as white does not really have theory, none is needed which is the beauty of it. All that is needed is understanding of chess. The same as when black plays it.

Basically play the usual moves, then see what black has done and proceed accordingly. 

Yes, basically no theory which is also one of the main reasons why FischerRandom was created. I played many successful games with both colors, and wrote some books on the topic.