How are these openings for Class C?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

Anonymous_U

White:

Reti -> KIA

Black:

1.e4 -> Pirc Defense

1.d4 -> KID

This is what I use!  I play passive in the beginning and give up center control, but then I start counter-attacking!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

Anonymous_U

No I know.  These openings give me playable positions.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

Magillicuddy

If your goal is to enjoy playing, then they are as good as the enjoyment you get out of them.

If your goal is to improve, then they could be better.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

Estragon

Anonymous_U wrote:

No I know.  These openings give me playable positions.

That's hardly the point - any opening except the really bad variations will give you a playable game.

First of all, you are not really a "C" player until you achieve that level in serious OTB competition.  Online speed chess is meaningless, and online ratings are figured in different ways anyway.  In USCF, after you've played 20 rated games against players with established ratings, your own rating there will begin to be indicative of your results.

And a USCF C player shouldn't be very concerned about openings at all beyond knowing the general ideas and names of the major openings.  Studying variations is a complete waste of time.

And IMHO, you will learn more faster by playing the simpler and more basic openings first (1 e4 first as White, 1 e4 e5 & 1 d4 d5 as Black), gain an understanding of the fundamental pawn structures and strategies, before moving into more modern and complex ideas.  This is because defenses like the Pirc and KID were developed as alternatives for Black to those structures - you are trying to skip learning the basics so you can play openings with cooler names.  Don't do it if getting better is important to you.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #8

Anonymous_U

I've had experience with classical chess.  That's what I did in my early learning stages.  1.e4 and responded symmetrically to White's 1.e4 and 1.d4.  

• 3 years ago · Quote · #9

Magillicuddy

Estragon wrote:

First of all, you are not really a "C" player until you achieve that level in serious OTB competition.  Online speed chess is meaningless...

Unless what you like to do is play online speed chess.  In which case serious OTB competition is what's meaningless.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #10

John_Doe18

you should not include pircs defence with e4.

Learn about the sicilian if you want to be a strong player.

And, leave reti and try 1.d4 or 1.e4 as as reti usually transpose into any d4 or e4 opening

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

Morris_W3

Everybody likes their own brand.  If you play just for pure enjoyment (aka the "club player") one or two basic openings/defenses will do just nicely. I'm like you in a way, Anonymous, if I play e4 somebody plays the sicilian then I play the Smith-morra which was pretty much written off as not a serious response and more for lower-rated games.  So I, along with many others I'm sure, can sympathhize.  Like Estragon was saying, build a foundation from which you can build on if that's the direction you want to go.  Me, I rely on my army of strategic adivsors.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

ChessisGood

Here's what I'd suggest. Start playing either 1. e4 or 1. d4 as White and play all main lines. If something shows up at the top of the database, play it. As Black, you can keep the KID, but you should really play something like the Sicilian against 1. e4. Also, you will need to determine a repertoire against 1. c4.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

Anonymous_U

ChessisGood wrote:

Here's what I'd suggest. Start playing either 1. e4 or 1. d4 as White and play all main lines. If something shows up at the top of the database, play it. As Black, you can keep the KID, but you should really play something like the Sicilian against 1. e4. Also, you will need to determine a repertoire against 1. c4.

Yeah maybe you're right.  I played the Sicilian for a little while.  I really want to play something else.  Is the French Defense a good idea.  And then as White, I was thinking about playing 1.d4.  Learn the Queen's Gambit Accepted and Declined lines (Semi-slav, slav).  Learn how to play against the Nimzo Indian a little bit.  Also the Queen's Indian.  

Also against 1.d4 I currently play the King's Indian.  What's your opinion on the Semi-Slav?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #14

Anonymous_U

I was just wondering is Slav better or Semi-Slav?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #15

hicetnunc

Anonymous_U wrote:

White:

Reti -> KIA

Black:

1.e4 -> Pirc Defense

1.d4 -> KID

This is what I use!  I play passive in the beginning and give up center control, but then I start counter-attacking!

Reti is a bit complicated for a class C player I think (my coach thinks it's a 2200 level opening), but as long as you're comfortable with your openings, there's no need to change them.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #16

hicetnunc

Anonymous_U wrote:

I was just wondering is Slav better or Semi-Slav?

Both are sound. Semi-slav is more complex than the regular Slav (4...dxc4)

Post your reply: