Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

How to beat the Queen's Gambit.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #41

blasterdragon

Expertise87 wrote:

I'm really sorry for this, blasterdragon, but did you actually count the pawns? Black is down a pawn, but up a minor piece at the end of that line. Also, Nxd5 is a known error and play usually continues 5.e3 c6 6.Nf3 Qa5.

yes so black is up two pawns since a knight is worth 3 is it not?

• 21 months ago · Quote · #42

Expertise87

No. When talking about material imbalances, if you say Black is up two pawns, it means he has two pawns more than White. Otherwise you say Black is up a piece for a pawn, as in this case.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #43

blasterdragon

Expertise87 wrote:

No. When talking about material imbalances, if you say Black is up two pawns, it means he has two pawns more than White. Otherwise you say Black is up a piece for a pawn, as in this case.

its alot easier to say black is up two pawns tho

• 21 months ago · Quote · #44

Expertise87

It may be easier, but it's also completely wrong and no serious chess player will know what you're talking about. It might make sense to you, but if you think of material as having such a static value, it will hamper your chess progression. A knight for a pawn is not worth the same as two extra pawns. I would much rather have a knight for a pawn in most situations this early in the game, while two extra pawns could be totally useless in the form of isolated, tripled rook pawns, for example.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #45

Andre_Harding

Expertise87 is correct of course.

A knight is not ALWAYS worth three pawns. That's why with any chart of piece values it will say "RELATIVE Value of the pieces." A White knight on e6 and a White knight on a1 are not of equal value. In fact, the same White knight on e6 is likely of greater value than a White ROOK on a1 with White pawns on a2 and b2 and a White knight on b1.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #46

dchurchill

I feel like I've heard some masters use "pawns" in place of "points" in material on this website.  I don't exactly do the same, but it seems interchangeable enough.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #47

blasterdragon

dchurchill wrote:

I feel like I've heard some masters use "pawns" in place of "points" in material on this website.  I don't exactly do the same, but it seems interchangeable enough.

agreed

Post your reply: