Forums

How to handle the Grunfeld

Sort:
redchessman

As a main line D4-C4 player I have tried many lines against the Grunfeld defense.  I have tried Bg5, bf4, the exchange lines, the russian lines.  From my own games, it seems black has no trouble equalizing and I often get dead positions in which I can not press for more as white.  For example, in the exchange grunfeld there is the kotov line which leads to a dry endgame ... Anyways I am wondering what exactly are few of the critical lines for the grunfeld.  Also a book recommendation that could help me investigate further would help.

Thanks

TwoMove

What is the Kotov line in the exchange? The Kaufman rep book recommends the Russian system. Have to say the discussion seems a little lightweight for such a complicated line, but may give a start. His recommendations are little bit off most played moves, based on using software.

Daeru

I am a Grunfeld player and I think one of the most testing lines for both sides is Exchange variation 7.Nf3 c5 8.Rb1

TwoMove

Yes on reflection think IM Pfren correct. His first book was reasonable because chose rather safe, limited openings. Latest one the lines chosen too ambitious for such lightweight approach.

Dearu's recommendation looks reasonable, and Gelfand's book of games, has a large number of model games in this line.

redchessman

This is the kotov ending which i want to avoid, but i guess the nf3 and rb1 line or russian qb3 line avoids it.   Are there any other good books where I can find information on these lines? (other than gelfand's book? as I am having trouble finding it)

TwoMove

Eddie Dearing's "Challenging the Grunfeld", is on Nf3, Rb1 line I think, but quite dated now. That Kotov endgame line isn't played that often far as I know, maybe something wrong with it.

redchessman
pfren wrote:

There is no Gelfand book on the Grunfeld.

The above line is quite unfashionable due to 11.Bd5. You can find plenty of

analysis in Sakaev's book "An Expert's Guide to the 7.Bc4 Gruenfeld".

Anyway, judging from the games you have played here, you'd better forget about openings, and concentrate on other parts of the game.

I am not so sure about forgetting openings. Many of the recent games i've played here have been Bullet games and blitz games and they do not accurately reflect my playing strength. Openings do help...For example, just last saturday I played in a tournament and drew a strong expert in a g/60 due to getting through the opening.  Yes, I apparently deviated on move 9, but just knowing what to do in the early stages of the game allowed me to play my opponent with more confidence and I think this confidence is what people need in their games and openings can help with that, especially when your opponent is stronger than you. 

The difference between this game line and the lines used in the grunfeld is that the grunfeld is more dynamic, so I can't just improvise early on otherwise I get roasted.  I need some concrete lines or atleast need to learn some ideas to build my confidence against this monster. 

Anyways enough on that, you do bring up a good point about working on other aspects of my game, I just haven't figured out how to work on them.  Especially working on improving middle game...i have no idea how.

TwoMove

Your placeholder for game didn't work. From information given about Kotov line, would say stick with Exchange var, because it seems that line the least of worries.

For middlegame there are many good books, Bronstein's Chess struggle in practise, recent "Lessons with a GM" by Gulko etc. If can afford it,  coaching with an titled player is a good idea.

redchessman
TwoMove wrote:

Your placeholder for game didn't work. From information given about Kotov line, would say stick with Exchange var, because it seems that line the least of worries.

For middlegame there are many good books, Bronstein's Chess struggle in practise, recent "Lessons with a GM" by Gulko etc. If can afford it,  coaching with an titled player is a good idea.

Ahh check again I fixed it ;)  and thanks for the reccomendations everyone

Da-Novelty

Yes you are right. Grundfeld is a very good defense against d4. The problem with the grundfeld though is that it should be played concretely ie you must be well versed in theory.

Otherwise you risk the danger of losing. AS a grundfeld player, sometimes its difficult to press a win against white if white knows quite a handful of theory.

The exchange variation and the russian are the most dangerous lines in my opinion.

redchessman

It looks like Avrukh's G3 line has been busted last year and the qb3 russian line can lead to something like this which doesn't look so appealing to play with as white.

I am starting to think I should just stick with bf4 or bg5 sidelines if i want more winning chances as it leads to less simplification of pieces and gives more classical positions with intact pawn structures. 

i looked at a few of kramnik's games in the nf3 rb1 line and it looks like it simplifies fast as well if black allows it.

I really think at the 1900 level I need to keep more pieces on the board in the early stages if i want better winning chances as white.  Any ideas on this?

waffllemaster

Handle it, you'll handle it?  You know, your predecessors had more respect.

TwoMove

A very solid white line like g3, doesn't get busted. Their might be problems in gaining an advantage in top level games, but that isn't the same thing. I presume you are talking about the neo-grunfeld line which happened in candidates final game between Gelfand v Grischuk, which black lost. At the moment that line does look quite attractive for black, but is very complicated and subtle line for club players like us to play.  In Russian and various exchange vars, white as big centre and active peices. For a predominately 1.e4 player like me, looks very promising for white. Think 1d4 club players being uncomfortable with active play is more a factor, than the complicated struggles happening between FIDE 2700+ players.

redchessman

Yes, Kramnik does have initiative in the rb1 line, but from chessgames database it looks like he doesn't play russian variation at all and it makes sense because in the line I gave it looks like black is the one with the initiative.

I am saying the g3 line is "busted" , but maybe a better way to say it is that it is unpleasant to play as white because it looks like the e pawn is pretty loose and making plans in such an opening looks quite difficult.  Also if you're declining the queen trade, the queen looks quite silly on b2 and black can finish developing easily starting with bd7. 

This leaves me with the nf3 Rb1 line which I initially dismissed as simplifing too much.  I'll look at it a bit deeper, but my feelings are that I should not be waiting until endgame to finish off weaker opponents. (Although this what happened to me in the first round of my last tournament)

Anyways what i found in the bf4 lines that i liked was that I could quickly build the pawn structure d4-c4-e3 and keep the dark bishop outside of the pawn chain.  This structure gives off a familiar sense as it stems from many d4 d5 structures, so it was easy to play.  However, I ran into a problem where black just blows up the structure with ideas like c5 and then qa5.

Anyways from what I've come to understand, every single line has its own positives and negatives and I should just pick the one i'm most comfortable with even if its not objectively best.   

Also on the point of learning how to handle different positions:  Although this is important,  I think that when you have no initiative and the position is just equal (like in the russian line I showed in an earlier post), I don't see why I would voluntarily go into that line when I can choose something more comfortable.

TwoMove

Umm, but the lines you are worried about are not critical, forced or popular. This includes the Kotov endgame, and g3 line gave above. Can see this even though a 1.e4 player, and don't know much about this stuff, just researching a little in database. All the lines worried about have big improvements for white. 8e4 above not forced, three is 8d4xc5, 8Nc3. Lots of options earlier. Think you just need to choose one line, play some games, deepen knowlege and stick with it for a season. At the moment, give impression frightened of ghosts and problems that don't exist.

redchessman

Alright I think i'll just give the rb1 line a good try since I have the least "real" problems with it.  Just one more thing - Is there a more recent book other than challenging the grunfeld as that is seven years old now?  Or should I just use chessbase to find some lines? 

TwoMove

Ok didn't realise before that the diagram with g3 line, was Avrukh line and 15...Qc4 Houdini 1.5's top recommendation, and as yet unplayed novelty. For what's worth evaluating as a tiny advantage for white after queen exchange and Nd5 at 20ply. Smile

benonidoni

Discussion kind of explains why I ebay'd my avrukh gruenfeld vol 1 and 2. After examining the books He convinced me Black has a better game and I really was never able to find a good opening line for white. He proved black better in all lines.

TwoMove

There is a best games book for Gelfand, where quite a few games are in the exchange var with Rb1.

At the moment black is in good theoretical shape in Grunfeld with backing of highly computerised lines. These positions are not so easy to play though especially for club players who don't have calculating skills\memory of top GMs. Not so long ago even Kasparov was in trouble in many Grunfeld games in matches with Karpov.

madhatter5

Blindside- Avrukh refuted the line he gave in the g3 Grunfeld in his book on the Grunfeld.