Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

how to play opening Caro Kann for black??


  • 24 months ago · Quote · #1

    andrea_j

    i would like to try opening Caro Kann for black

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #2

    FirebrandX

    Watch GM Shankland's videos on this site. You'll need to upgrade to Diamond member to watch them.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #3

    Estragon

    The Caro-Kann is a fine defense, I play it myself.  But you need to get a firm grounding in 1 e4 e5 first, IMO.  Play the so-called open games before taking on the semi-open games, it is a logical progression.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #4

    InfiniteFlash

    But estragon, people like ME do not follow the logical progression. I have only known the french and the sicilian as black hehe, but never 1..c6 or 1..e5 both of which are great for OPs opening choice. The caro-kann can be played at any level.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #5

    Estragon

    Randomemory wrote:

    But estragon, people like ME do not follow the logical progression. I have only known the french and the sicilian as black hehe, but never 1..c6 or 1..e5 both of which are great for OPs opening choice. The caro-kann can be played at any level.

    Perhaps you are exceptional, or perhaps you have missed something.  I can only offer general advice based on my experience.

    There may be those who can master calculus without taking algebra first, too.  They should feel free to ignore suggestions to the contrary.  Wink

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #6

    k_kostov

    You play ...Nf6 almost always. Your dark squared bishop goes to either e7 (which is the more defensive position) or to d6. You have two pawn breaks to choose between - ...c5 or ...e5 (...e5 is usually better but it's harder to achieve). Your light squared bishop should ideally be developed to f5 or g4 before you play ...e6 (if you play ...e6), but its optimal development square depends mainly on White's plans of play - you should make sure you won't weaken the e8-a4 diadonal (by ...e6 and ...c5 with the bishop on f5/g4) in a way that White can exploit, for example with Bb5, Qa4 and Ne5 when the pressure on d7 and c6 is significant. Your queen's knight goes to either d7 (to support ...c5 or ...e5 or defend f6) or it can go to c6 if the pawn has moved or has been exchanged. There are some other things to think about (control of the b8-h2 diagonal, which side to castle, etc.), but you'll discover them as you play. In general the Caro-Kann is solid and somehow easy to play once you get a feel for it, but it's not ambitious at some sharp openings. Good luck!

     

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #7

    andrea_j

    Thanks to all for the answer.. i am really appreciate it..

    But do you have sample chess diagram using Caro Kann for black?? it will be easy to me for learning this tactic!!!

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #8

    mayankdubey1996

    you can see all the games of maters and grandmasters and categories (like sicilian gruenfeld) etc on www.chessgames.com

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #9

    andrea_j

    Thank you mayank..i did see the site but unfortunately i don't find sample diagram Caro Kann for black Frown

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #10

    Jimmy_Corrigan

    Jennifer,

    This site has some nice opening diagrams that you can walk through:

    http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/ch-group.htm

    Just search the page for caro (or khan).

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #11

    Mandy711

    Try reading the basics of the carokann defense.

    http://www.ericschiller.com/pdf/Caro-Kann%20Basics.pdf

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #12

    Oraoradeki

    Well after 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5,

    you got to watch out for Exchange variation 3.exd5, Advanced variation 3.e5, and 3. Nc3 variation.

    Also understand Anti Caro Kanns, such as 1. e4 c6 2. c4, and KIA which is 1.e4 c6 2.d3 d5 3. Nd2

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #13

    andrea_j

    Jimmy_Corrigan wrote:

    Jennifer,

    This site has some nice opening diagrams that you can walk through:

    http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/ch-group.htm

    Just search the page for caro (or khan).

    I was see the tactic in diagram CARO-KANN DEFENCE - Classical Var.
    (to) Spassky Variation

    Thank you very much indeed Jimmy Smile


  • 23 months ago · Quote · #14

    andrea_j

    Mandy711 wrote:

    Try reading the basics of the carokann defense.

    http://www.ericschiller.com/pdf/Caro-Kann%20Basics.pdf

    Yes..i will try Mandy

    A lot of thanks Wink

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #15

    andrea_j

    Oraoradeki wrote:

    Well after 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5,

    you got to watch out for Exchange variation 3.exd5, Advanced variation 3.e5, and 3. Nc3 variation.

    Also understand Anti Caro Kanns, such as 1. e4 c6 2. c4, and KIA which is 1.e4 c6 2.d3 d5 3. Nd2

    Thanks for the variation Caro Kann..i am really appreciate it

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #17

    Mandy711

    ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

    For a quick primer, you can go to Wikipedia also.

    @Estragon I did not learn 1.e4 e5 before playing the Caro-Kann, in any real sense of the word. Early on in my scholastic career I played 1...c6

    The Half Sicilian

    I like that, half sicilian. I'm forced to play carokann after dropping the pawn on c6 a few times due to an old mouse. 


Back to Top

Post your reply: