Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Im a begginer and need a good white opening!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

Bigtags7

Hey guys,

I need opening for white a good one because all mine seem to fail. Ive looked at videos for tactics and when i try them i fail and i end up losing heaps of peices.

My strongest side is white so are there any good opening for agressive attacking oppurtunitys. 

And btw i dont understand the whole k43 b32 stuff etc etc. :D

Thanks.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

SimonWebbsTiger

your last sentance -- I am guessing you haven't learnt chess notation just yet?

It's easy really. The horizontal lines (ranks) are numbered 1 to 8 from white's perspective. Then the verticle lines (files) are lettered a-h from left to right. It's a grid reference like the Battleships game. The pieces are lettered K for King, Q for queen, R= rook, B= bishop, N= knight. The pawn isn't lettered.

So e1 is where the white king stands at the start of a game. If white plays his king pawn two steps, that move would be e2-e4, the pawn moves from the square in front of the king (e2) two steps to the 4th rank on the e file (e4).

When you learn that ask again about openings. :)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

RothKevin

Well, openings is something hard to teach because you may learn move order, but it really comes down to how Black will play against your opening. Black always has a repetoir of choices to choose from so you may not always end up playing something you are familiar with. However, It doesn't hurt to learn the most typicall variations. My recommendation to you is to play E4 with white as it is the move that has been looked into the most and gives white the best chances. After you get familiar with this move, then you could start searching for other openings if you'd like (although I'd debate there is no reason to). 

Ok, let's look at some common Openings for E4:

1. Ruy Lopez

2. The Scotch Game

3. Scandinavian defense
    4. The Phillidor

5. The Sicilian (warning)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

NachtWulf

Against the Sicilian, especially starting out, I suggest 2. Nc3: the closed Sicilian. You won't need to know much theory to know just as much or more than your opponents! In other words, don't worry about theory at all.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

Bigtags7

Thanks guys helped me out alot :D

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

Stampnl

A great opening for white is 1. e3 followed by 2. e4 and on move 2 you have turned the tables already! Now you can play the Petrov as white, it goes: 1. e3 e5 2. e4 Nf6 3. Nf3 Nxe4 4. d3

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

Bigtags7

Stampn do you have a video of this? I dont know the e3 stuff if you can find a good petrov opening video ill appreciate it :D And is there a way i can learn all the board names?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #8

nswwsn

He was joking with his suggestion he is advocating giving up a tempo and playing as black.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #9

nswwsn

Can you explain what you mean by board names?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #10

Stampnl

This is my favorite opening and I have been at beginner's level for a long time so you can trust me that it's a good one. This opening is called the Italian game for white and black's defense is called the two knights defense. Basically in the opening, don't panic, just develop your pieces one after the other to safe squares and castle your king.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

ChessisGood

As a beginner, play 1. e4. It is the way to go. I would suggest the Ruy Lopez, the Alapin Sicilian, the Advance French, and the Panov-Botvinnik against the Caro-Kann.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

TonyH

My advice is stick with very simple straight forward plans. Some opponents will try to do something wacky but  thats true no matter what you play. If you learn something with a simple plan allows you to explore all the various positions both good and bad that result.

remember you can not always attack but you can strive for open positions. Dont play blocked centers and run scared from your opponents. You will be surprised to know that most players up to 2000 dont know as much theory as you might think and most that memorize moves have no idea WHY they are playing them... with that in mind.... 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

damongross

Learn chess notation.  I'm sure there are books in the library that explain it.  Then play over some old masters games.  Watch how they get their pieces out into good positions and fight for control of the center of the board.  Understanding what is going on is more important than memorizing a specific sequence of moves, because your opponent will try to trip you up anyway.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #14

Bigtags7

Thanks guys for all the videos and tips. Just one thing i cant understand how you tell what peice is e3 is that a pawn moved 3 spaces or...lol im stupid :P i like the queens gabit its classy :D

• 3 years ago · Quote · #15

Scottrf

I started just by learning the opening principles and found I was actually playing some of the book openings.

If you know why the book moves are good: usually moving pawns to open lines for your pieces and control the centre, and bringing your pieces into play you will find your openings are fairly solid.

I don't think opening memorisation is best use of time for a beginner. Learn the principles and what you're trying to achieve and focus on endgame and tactics.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #16

nswwsn

e3 is a square imagine someone wrote a little letter and number on each square a1 is white's rook square on the queen side (his queen is on d1) ending with h8 black's rook square on the king side (his king is on e8). Chess notation is normaly only written by the last square mentioned (sometimes you will see something like Nge4. This is because both knights are able to move to the e4 square so it is telling you to mave the knight in the g column see below.) So 1) e3 is short for e2 to e3. Meaning you move your king's pawn up one.

I hoped this helped.
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #18

Bigtags7

? Im so confused ill purchase a chess book lol :D  

• 3 years ago · Quote · #19

masontonio

A good, very basic opening is move your Queen's pawn out 2 spaces, then follow up with King's pawn one space to protect the first moved pawn. Hope that helps!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #20

Scottrf

Bigtags7 wrote:

? Im so confused ill purchase a chess book lol :D  

Don't get an openings book. If you're failing at tactics, practice them.

http://www.chesstactics.org/ and practice on this site.

But study endgame. Firstly, make sure you know how to mate with 2 queens, 2 rooks, 1 queen, 1 rook, 2 bishops. Then do pawn endings, rule of opposition, king activity etc.

Learning an opening barely teaches you anything at a low level. The principles are enough.

Post your reply: