Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is anything better for me than the Parham?

• 2 years ago · #61

ChristianSoldier007

i recommend the Dragon if you want aggresive for black, that is a mating race so to speak.

As white the italian game is good, you say that after Bc5 then its boring, but I think its more attacking than my favorite Ruy Lopex or other openings.

You might also try to queens gambit. I know you said no gambits, but the truth is there is no way black can keep the pawn if he accepts the queen's gambit, so its not a gambit in the true sense of the word. Its also has more potential to be agressive than most people think

• 2 years ago · #62

IrrationalTiger

The_Gavinator wrote:

So what youre saying is that the Parham is unstoppable?

sar·casm/ˈsärˌkazəm/

Noun:
    The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Synonyms: irony
  • 2 years ago · #63

sanan22

@Gavinator: aggressive is the player not the opening. look at kasparov and tal's games. they play seemingly "dull" openings like the QGD or against supersolid openings like the caro-kan but play very agressively and crush their opponents.

just saying..now stop trolling

• 2 years ago · #64

The_Gavinator

Lol you are the ones trolling...? I asked for good alternatives, I got the first few comments seriously, then the trolls (you guys) arrived. Please comment if you have openings that you would think suit me, not so you can criticize a system you have never even played...

• 2 years ago · #65

IrrationalTiger

IrrationalTiger wrote:

Almost anything as white against most Sicilians, especially variations like the Keres Attack or the English Attack against the Najdorf.  With that being said, the main problem with wanting aggressive positions is that the majority of them are heavily theory-driven as the moves are critical, forcing players to memorize huge amounts of theory or get wiped off the board (this is especially the case in openings like the Yugoslav Dragon or the Poisoned Pawn Najdorf).  I don't understand why you don't just choose something simple and solid and allow your aggressive play to be based off of the middlegame instead of trying to get too much mileage for your level out of the opening phase.  You'd be surprised at some of the intiatives that can be reached out of "quiet" and somewhat unambitious openings like the Giuoco Piano or the Four Knights' Game - the players determine the direction of the game, not the opening (unless you're going way out into theoretical waters).

The_Gavinator 

Lol you are the ones trolling...? I asked for good alternatives, I got the first few comments seriously, then the trolls (you guys) arrived. Please comment if you have openings that you would think suit me, not so you can criticize a system you have never even played...

See above quoted.

• 2 years ago · #66

jetfighter13

Gambit comes from the italian Gambitto meaning to reach out and trip your opponent, seems agressive to me, but to you it says I am hanging material and will never regain it and get an advantage. enough about material, Checkmate ends the game, and sometimes the best(and most entertaining) way to achieve this is to simply give a little to gain a lot

• 2 years ago · #67

AndyClifton

paulgottlieb wrote:

Literally anything is better for you than the Parham.

That is the whole Law.  The rest is commentary. Smile

• 2 years ago · #68

ChristianSoldier007

I dont know if you want advice since the trolls are arguing (not gonna make a judgement on who they are I'm staying out of it) but in reply to the original topic, here are some agressive openings. I did include gambits because I think you should give them a try, they seem to match your style. (though I dont advocate the king's gambit myself)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evans_Gambit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Gambit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian,_Dragon,_Yugoslav_attack,_9.Bc4
    (only one of the lines but the most agressive)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian,_Najdorf,_7...Be7_Main_line

I think what you want is an opening that is aggressive, doesn't give material, and doesn't require a lot of theory. I'm not sure such an opening exists (the veresov is ok, but most strong players will tell you its inferior to the Queen's Gambit)

• 2 years ago · #69

sanan22

The_Gavinator wrote:

you don't seem to be reading what I posted AT ALL. what I said was any opening that is solid can be played defensively or aggressively. just play something solid and play it in an aggressive manner. also forget about the scholars mate

also what's with the "criticize a system you have never even played" argument?" I've never played 1.a4 or 1.h4 and I'll never will because beginner knowledge told me they're terrible. your argument is invalid

• 2 years ago · #70

The_Gavinator

I seem to be getting a lot of Evan's Gambits, I may look into that. I used to play this, my main issues were that the c3 pawn was pinned, and I'd have to use a turn castling, and also my b-knight didn't have a good place to go, anyone who plays this that can give me tips?

It seems similar to the uber aggressive danish gambit, with the 4.Bc4 line.

• 2 years ago · #71

sanan22

just follow the mainline(s) of evans gambit and you'll be fine.

black can easily equalize after 3...d5 in the danish gambit

• 2 years ago · #72

waffllemaster

So you want a very aggressive opening that involves no gambits/risk to you?  E.g. you don't want to waste time castling or even allow your opponent to pin something.

Hmm, what you're thinking of is an odds game, have your opponent play without a rook or two, and you can be as aggressive as you want with no consequences or need to castle. Tongue out

• 2 years ago · #73

ChristianSoldier007

yeah I think the fried liver and evans gambit would be a good rep for you

• 2 years ago · #74

CHCL

This was my first repertoire, mabye you will like it. The only difference from this repertoire and my new one is I swiched to 1.d4.

• 2 years ago · #75

jetfighter13

here is my rep as white

as Black

• 2 years ago · #76

The_Gavinator

I may just stay with the veresov for now. The sicilian is a b**** to play against.

• 2 years ago · #77

IrrationalTiger

If you want really aggressive and still sound chess, the Sicilian is by far the best opening for both colors.  The Veresov promises white literally nothing, and to top it off almost never leads to the desired initiative for white.

• 2 years ago · #78

jetfighter13

Learn the main line sicilians, and choose a variation against the dragon, play the Levenfish, and against the Najdorf, play 6. f4 that should give you a good system to work with, as both are the same, except for black's 5th move. same structure, same situation regarding the e5 square. and other things. here is a puzzle to take advantage of the Levenfish

here is what happens if Black plays the worst responce to fxe5

• 2 years ago · #79

gambiteer12

IrrationalTiger wrote:

If you want really aggressive and still sound chess, the Sicilian is by far the best opening for both colors.  The Veresov promises white literally nothing, and to top it off almost never leads to the desired initiative for white.

Seems a fine opening to employ against 12-1300's in blitzy games. White develops his peices logically and doesn't gift black tempi. Gets his opponent playing OTB also. 

• 2 years ago · #80

AnthonyCG

9...Ne5 is a lot safer for Black. He can let White take on f7 and block the f-file with his bishop.

I started playing the open a while ago and even though I'm not really sure of what I'm doing I am getting good positions. I don't even see the Najdorf or dragon.

This forum topic has been locked.