Forums

Is anything better for me than the Parham?

Sort:
shepi13

I'm posting points to help gavinator see them Laughing

NachtWulf

Here are some lines:

Rubidium

Gavinator: most of the lines I posted at pages 34-35. I questioned the position at the end of christian solider's analysis, saying Ra2 and a4 hurts the pawn structure for black. I also did not enjoy b5, and instead recommended taking the bishop with the knight. I wondered about qd6, (after bd5) driving the bishop back while getting rid of the pin. I didn't say this before, but c3 looks abut better than ne2, more center control and the knight has no useful place to go for the moment. I questioned qe7, and rather play d6 intending bg4. Did you not see my comments?

netzach
The_Gavinator wrote:

If you're tryin to say those are bad words or something, how is Hitler a bad word? He is a person, and he was actually a freakin genious, I bet he was tons smarter then you.

Zaiger

Folks, keep it clean in here.  Remember, Chess.com is a family site.  :)

NachtWulf

Getting back to the OP (imagine that!),

No, because playing anything other than the Parham will cause you to suddenly lose your online popularity, which you clearly cannot live without.

As a side note: if you really would like lines ironed out, I would suggest actually posting them for feedback, but not before running an engine check to avoid pieces from dropping all over the place (in which case opening analysis would be pointless). Heck, go buy yourself a Parham book if you're so inclined.

Helzeth
shepi13 wrote:

Even if b4 traps the knight it's still an even trade and black is probably better. Also, you say no one refuted it, but I gave multiple human and engine checked lines against every refutation you have given where black is either equal or better. An opening for white is supposed to gain an advantage, at best this gains equality. Most of your games given to prove it is good are won by middlegame and endgame blunders, not opening play.

Using an engine to analyze an opening is stupid, example from a game I had in a irl otb game:

shepi13

You should use your human knowledge to analyze an opening and an engine to double check. Most engines can calculate the tactics of opening very well. Thus, if I check my lines with an engine I won't drop pieces and get my play called garbage. Also, while a low advantage doesn't mean anything in openings or endings to an engine, if the engine gets to above -1 for black you know something's gone wrong with white's opening, especially in an open position that engines don't have as much trouble with. In addition I use human analysis by strong players, including GMs and IMs, who analyze that this opening allows easy equality, as well as my own analysis. I don't get the relevance of the game you posted, white does gain an advantage in the few moves you posted (the position beforehand looks equal, but after Qc4 white has complete light square control and pressure against c7). Perhaps you didn't leave the engine on long enough for it to notice this?

Helzeth

is the position equal after nd5? Hardly. Blacks plan in this position is kingside play. In the pos after nd5 there is no way blacks counterplay would be sufficent.

NachtWulf

I agree that engine use is stupid for learning openings. However, no engine is stupid enough to immediately hang pieces in the opening, which some of these supposed Parham lines have been doing. Thus, I suggested using an engine to check these "theoretical novelties" for tactical blunders before even putting them on the table.

The_Gavinator
netzach wrote:
The_Gavinator wrote:

If you're tryin to say those are bad words or something, how is Hitler a bad word? He is a person, and he was actually a freakin genious, I bet he was tons smarter then you.

There's no way that could be offensive language, I stated that a genius man was smart...

And Rubidium, there's so many comments, I must have glanced over them, there are so many posts on here. Could you put them on a board?

Ben_Dubuque

Gavinator, your pawns are wrecked, there are two places where I can stop two pawns with one, so honestly that techincly makes me up a pawn. but then again you have Ra2 followed by a4 which would make material even, doubled pawns only count as one pawn in the endgame(excepting really wierd circumstances.

The_Gavinator

I don't think you realize, you have one less pawn on the board then I do... How are you talking about winning?

The_Gavinator

So what you're saying is you'd rather be down a pawn...?

The_Gavinator

The thing jetfighter is talking about.

The_Gavinator

I'd personally prefer to be up a pawn, but it's whatever you prefer...

The_Gavinator

what does that have to do with anything...

utarefson

May I ask you something alexlaw?

What do you think about Gavinator insight on chess. I think that he only understands this:

1. All advantage is material advantage or

2. direct attacking chances to get material advantage;

He does not understands:

1. Any strategical criteria

2. authority of grandmasters and other strong players

3. any good in evaluating possition by good chess programs;

So that indicates last question - how, the hell, you can show him his wrongness/error? He can not understand you at all. He is just a rookie, who is trying to remember moves without any insight.

It's like giving a try to explain quadratic equation to a mother-goose. All response you can get is cacle. After some time he will find anserw himself. (Or not.) Let him be, like Beatles have sung.

Ben_Dubuque

people think material is everything in chess, screw it checkmate ends the game.

paraphrasing a good quote

who said the actual quote which is a bit different

Gavinator, you need to learn material is not the only thing in chess, that is why I lost to whatup, I took free material and then lost as a direct result of it.

The_Gavinator

First of all, that was John Lennon, not the Beatles, and the Beatles suck anyways.

As Helzath pointed out above, engines don't matter in evaluating openings.

Aand how can I not understand strategical criteria when in every "refutation" shown results in me winning material and position??

This forum topic has been locked