Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

King's Gambit

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

skyrider12

I now play and enjoy  King's Gambit, especially the one derived from the Vienna Game. Nine times out of ten, I have an exciting and tactical game (or just take advantage when my opponent makes a blunder). Right now, I feel confident that King's Gambit is a valid opening and should be paid special attention to, like how the d pawn game is focused mostly on queen's gambit.

A friend of mine tells me that falkbeer countergambit annihiliates king's gambit, and moreover, another person tells me that 1. e4 e5 2. f4 d5 3.exd5 exf4 is better for black. Can anyone give me feedbacks on this? I am an amateur, but I think King's Gambit is very solid if backed with overturning tactics.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

skyrider12

oh, thank you! So as long as white, who has the initiative here, plays concretely, there should be no problem? 

And is KG derived from Vienna Game better? For example:

Thank you for your response!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

skyrider12

Oh, that makes sense. Sorry for pestering about "good" and "bad". Thank you again.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

TonyMooney

I also play the King's Gambit in Blitz. I think it's an excellent opening for average players because it creates lots of piece activity and tactical opportunities which leads to an exciting game. I don't think the Falkbeer has caused me any more problems than other Black responses. At my lowly level, the better tactical player tends to win whatever variation is employed.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

skyrider12

how about in tournaments?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

helltank

I always hate it when my opponent plays 2..Bc5 in the King's Gambit, because it doesn't guaruntee me quick tactics. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

Estragon

The King's Gambit is one of those openings like the Trompowsky where White can generate a lot of play if Black isn't well-prepared to meet it, but if Black has done his homework it becomes hard to find.

Over time, such openings forfeit a good number of opportunities to play White by giving away the best chances for advantage.  They are better suited as surprise weapons tucked away in a balanced répertoire than as main lines.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

skyrider12

I see... I guess I should limit it. Thanks for the feedback!

Post your reply: