Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Needing a sharp defense against the English opening:

• 21 months ago · Quote · #21

pellik

FirebrandX wrote:

So after a few hours of reviewing lines, I've made my choices:

Against the straight c4-g3-Bg2-Nc3 English, I'm going with the Carlsen reversed Rossolimo. The line does very well for black, even on ICCF.

Against 1.Nf3, I'm going to give white as many chances to fall into a Blumenfeld with 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6, and if white still delays d4 with 3. Nc3, I'm going to just transpose into a Ragozin QGD 3...d5 4.d4 Bb4.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I know this is ten months old and you've probably already sorted out your repertoire, but most of the books I've seen in recent times advocate 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3, heading to either a Catalan or Reti. Avoiding Bb4 ideas is one of the primary advantages of a 1.Nf3 2.c4 move order.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #22

Fear_ItseIf

If anyone feels like continuing this discussion and would like to give any other recommendations im happy to hear them.

Recommend anything that coul lead to complications, even if theyre more subtle (though id prefer tactical) and it doesnt matter to me if they're not 100% sound.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #23

Fear_ItseIf

would someone knowledgable on the english explain this line to me?

Seems like its a very specific line for the repertoire recommended, what if they play nc3 what would be my alternatives?

• 21 months ago · Quote · #24

FirebrandX

pellik wrote:
    FirebrandX wrote:

So after a few hours of reviewing lines, I've made my choices:

Against the straight c4-g3-Bg2-Nc3 English, I'm going with the Carlsen reversed Rossolimo. The line does very well for black, even on ICCF.

Against 1.Nf3, I'm going to give white as many chances to fall into a Blumenfeld with 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6, and if white still delays d4 with 3. Nc3, I'm going to just transpose into a Ragozin QGD 3...d5 4.d4 Bb4.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I know this is ten months old and you've probably already sorted out your repertoire, but most of the books I've seen in recent times advocate 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3, heading to either a Catalan or Reti. Avoiding Bb4 ideas is one of the primary advantages of a 1.Nf3 2.c4 move order.

Against that move order, my preference is to play 3...b6 and go into a queens Indian formation. If they still hold back d4, then I'll get in Bb7 and c5 depending on whether white plays Nc3 or Bg2 first.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #25

Fear_ItseIf

• 20 months ago · Quote · #26

BTP_Excession

Can't you just play the Dutch? That's usually pretty sharp.

I'd also agree that the VHS counter-gambit (out of the Tarrasch) is sound - I spent 2-3 days running it thru Houdini recently and it is tremendous fun - of course it does depend on White playing along with d4 and Nc3.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #27

tomcapa

But what do you do against white players who don't bring either knight out to f3 or c3 for a time?.  Then there seems nothing to bite against. 

• 20 months ago · Quote · #28

kavanam

If you restrict your messages only from friends, you have no way to get suggestions regarding a subject like this!Laughing

• 20 months ago · Quote · #29

FirebrandX

kavanam wrote:

If you restrict your messages only from friends, you have no way to get suggestions regarding a subject like this!

The irony of your post knows no bounds...

• 20 months ago · Quote · #30

Kentering

Try to play 1. ... b6 or 1. ... b5 followed with a Bb7 and f5

• 4 months ago · Quote · #31

Chessattackman

im thinking on playing the hedghog defense

Post your reply: