Forums

New openings??

Sort:
Krestez

I always start with e4 and play the Scotch everytime I have the chance to. As black I play the Petroff or head towards Italian/Spanish Games. When my oppoent plays d4 as first move, the game almost always continues  Nf6 c4 e6 Nc3 d5 etc. I seem to play the same openings over and over since I don't want to leave my comfort zone but things start to get boring sometimes in the opening. I'd like to expand my repertoire. What openings do you suggest?

VULPES_VULPES

I do that too.

I know! Let's share openings! 

You teach me the Scotch variation (I stopped playing 1. e4 for a long time now) and I'll teach your what I play: the English opening and the Polish opening (with some Duras gambit as black). 

ThrillerFan

Uhm, I wouldn't recommend playing garbage like the Duras Gambit or Polish Opening.

As White, you should get enough of a diverse game on 1.e4 alone.  Not everyone plays 1...e5.  You've got the Sicilian, French, Caro-Kann, Scandinavian, Pirc, Modern, Alekhine, and offbeat stuff to deal with.

As Black, if you are mostly a 1...e5 player, I would recommend learning the Caro-Kann as a second defense.  1...c5 and 1...e6 are attacking defenses with a lot of tactics.  1...e5 and 1...c6 are for the more positionally minded, which you appear to be (unless you are completely playing the wrong openings, of course).  Against 1.d4, what you play is the Queen's Gambit Declined, just in a different move order.  I would recommend, if you are looking to expand, playing another positional defense, like the Slav, Nimzo-Indian, Classical/Stonewall Dutch, or Queen's Gambit Accepted, and steer clear of the Grunfeld, King's Indian, Benoni, Semi-Slav, or Leningrad Dutch

Krestez
ThrillerFan wrote:

Uhm, I wouldn't recommend playing garbage like the Duras Gambit or Polish Opening.

As White, you should get enough of a diverse game on 1.e4 alone.  Not everyone plays 1...e5.  You've got the Sicilian, French, Caro-Kann, Scandinavian, Pirc, Modern, Alekhine, and offbeat stuff to deal with.

As Black, if you are mostly a 1...e5 player, I would recommend learning the Caro-Kann as a second defense.  1...c5 and 1...e6 are attacking defenses with a lot of tactics.  1...e5 and 1...c6 are for the more positionally minded, which you appear to be (unless you are completely playing the wrong openings, of course).  Against 1.d4, what you play is the Queen's Gambit Declined, just in a different move order.  I would recommend, if you are looking to expand, playing another positional defense, like the Slav, Nimzo-Indian, Classical/Stonewall Dutch, or Queen's Gambit Accepted, and steer clear of the Grunfeld, King's Indian, Benoni, Semi-Slav, or Leningrad Dutch

Thanks ThrillerFan. Actually, I've recently decided to try Caro-Kann against e4. And it's true, I think I'm more positionally minded since I don't like taking risks too much (although I've got to admit I'm way more entertained by games decided by tactical means even though sound play is more for me in most cases) and I'm keen on the most solid openings (like Philidor or Petroff)

VULPES_VULPES

But I do quite well with the Duras gambit and the Polish...

Swindlers_List

I suggest you expand your repertoire, rather than changing it.

For example:

As black against d4:
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6
and now:
3.Nf3 d5, play the lines you know, but in addition:

3.Nc3 Bb4 add the nimzo indian to your repertoire.

As black 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 after 3.Bb5 spanish there's always more variations you can try that will aid your knowledge.

As white maybe kep playing 1.e4 and maintain your repertoire against all openings, but play the Spanish instead of the Scotch?

ThrillerFan
VULPES_VULPES wrote:

Your Online Chess rating is 1590.  You could do well with any of the 20 legal moves.  However, if you ever want to get any better and actually beat players that know what they are doing, you need to play better openings.  I played the Polish (1.b4) for 2 1/2 years.  Yeah I beat some players, but my game wasn't getting any better.  I went back to playing more normal openings, and I've moved up from the 2000s to the 2100s over the board.

You're not learning anything by simply trying to trick other players.  You'll get a few cheap wins, but your overall skill will suffer.

VULPES_VULPES
ThrillerFan wrote:
VULPES_VULPES wrote:

Your Online Chess rating is 1590.  You could do well with any of the 20 legal moves.  However, if you ever want to get any better and actually beat players that know what they are doing, you need to play better openings.  I played the Polish (1.b4) for 2 1/2 years.  Yeah I beat some players, but my game wasn't getting any better.  I went back to playing more normal openings, and I've moved up from the 2000s to the 2100s over the board.

You're not learning anything by simply trying to trick other players.  You'll get a few cheap wins, but your overall skill will suffer.

I most play that opening in blitz now, so yeah, you're right.