Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Odd Move In the Ruy Lopez?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #81

whatupyodog

Tempos dont matter even though white gains it and Bc4 is harder to deal with than it looks.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #82

ChristianSoldier007

automatic win? I went as far to say that white and black are equal (which most good players would disagree with and say that black is better). The only automatic win is fool's mate.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #83

The_Gavinator

I would tend to disagree. After the main refutation, which IMO is one of the only playable lines for black (1 e4 e5 2 Qh5 Nc6 3 Bc4 g6 4 Qf3 Nf6), I like white still. The f6 knight is pinned to the f7 square, and also that same knight can be pinned to the queen. A lot of interesting shots, and since the majority of people haven't seen this before, errors are easily made.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #84

ChristianSoldier007

after 0-0 there is no pin. And ur wrong about the majority of people not seeing it, the majority of good players have seen it, the ones who havent seen it are the amatuers. As I said earlier this is fine in amatuer play, but most chess players want to transcend amatuer play and start playing real chess

• 24 months ago · Quote · #85

TonyH

its like talking to a person that thinks the world is flat. http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

keep on preaching your world gavinator. 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #86

The_Gavinator

What makes this not real chess? Nakamura played it, he's in the top 5 in the world. Also, since almost everyone is an amateur on here, it works fine.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #87

EbenezerDrood

ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

ah sorry for the misunderstand of course I dont understand everything lol! I more or less mastered the Ruy Lopez closed and a little bit less of the dragon yugoslav, but I do have a fairly brief knowledge of most existing openings. Right now I'm focusing on the Sicilian, specificaly the dragon

So you're the one!

• 24 months ago · Quote · #88

ChristianSoldier007

mastered by current standards -_-

Im going to stop arguing for gavinator, because I agree at his level opening traps do work. Lets stop ragging on him, ket him play in his sphere, while we move on ahead into good chess

• 24 months ago · Quote · #89

The_Gavinator

Definetly, by you memorizing all the openings in the world, you will truly become an IM. Why don't you just focus on playing chess? That's really one of the few ways to become better. I wouldn't worry about memorizing hundreds of lines until your game is completely error free, so I'd practice or play tactics. And I don't know why you refer to "my level", we are rated about the same, in fact I am rated higher, so I wouldn't put yourself above me, knowing openings doesn't do anything for you if you hang material in games.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #90

ChristianSoldier007

its not memorizing openings, its understanding the ideas and strategies behind them

• 24 months ago · Quote · #91

The_Gavinator

Which as an amateur, I am sure you, and I, fail to do. Nevertheless, understanding opening principles still won't help you if you hang material as soon as the gameplay leaves your "book".

• 24 months ago · Quote · #92

ChristianSoldier007

yes, that is why before you focus on openings you learn about tactics and get to the point where you do not hang material (well even GMs blunder every now and then, but most of the time)

• 24 months ago · Quote · #93

ChristianSoldier007

and I do not fail to do so, I understand the ideas and plans, because I learned them

• 24 months ago · Quote · #94

The_Gavinator

If you didn't hang material, then you wouldn't be rated 1280 :p. Not in a rude way, but we are amateurs because we hang material, and better players exploit that.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #95

ChristianSoldier007

please stop acting like you know my chess endeavors

• 24 months ago · Quote · #96

The_Gavinator

Ok fine, if your game is error-free, and your mind is an opening book, knowing all of the principles, why are you rated at 1280?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #97

ChristianSoldier007

Im not saying my game is error free or that my mind is an opening book. All I'm saying is dont make assumptions based on rating.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #98

The_Gavinator

You are rated a cetrain way because of who you beat/lose to. The purpose of ratings is to reflect a player's skill.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #99

ChristianSoldier007

yes but ratings do have potential to be inaccurate.

anyways, i dont want to argue anymore. I know where I am and you know where you are. Your opening is fine for your level, but not for exceeding it, to sum things up. Have a good day :)

• 24 months ago · Quote · #100

The_Gavinator

Ok, but as a side-note, I would consider us the same level, or if anything me higher, due to rating. Don't put yourself on a pedestal, knowing openings doesn't make you better.

Post your reply: