Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Odd Move In the Ruy Lopez?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #1

ChristianSoldier007

One thing I like to do is play engine tournaments with some of the strongest free engines out there. Often times my engines dont have books, and just calculate from move 1. Often times I see them play the mov e below. It looks terrible to me, so my question is, why would they play it?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #2

jetfighter13

over protecting the e5 pawn, though there are better ways of doing this, aka d6, or simply ignoring the threat and playing a mainline

• 24 months ago · Quote · #3

TonyH

because to make computers weak they are forced to play a move within a certain time limit. It is not a good move but its not immediately losing either.  When I face this of wacky move I tend to 1) respect it 2) not try to be fancy 3) after the game see what good players do as both sides. 

Below are a few games. Seems Black has some big problems in dealing with a central advance. The karpov game was a simul so its not as serious but a good indication of problems

• 24 months ago · Quote · #4

whatupyodog

I dont understand why you didnt play 2. Qh5, it is an automatic win.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #5

The_Gavinator

That's true, in the amount of moves of theory you'll learn playing the ruy lopez, you could've already won in the Parham.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #6

DKof

I've seen this as well.  I usually respond with a zerg swarm on the Kingside.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #7

ChristianSoldier007

parham is better?

LOL

• 24 months ago · Quote · #8

ChristianSoldier007

anyways, thanks to the "serious" people for the input. When I first saw this by a weak version of Crafty, I wrote it off, but I'm seeing it with many strong engines

• 24 months ago · Quote · #9

The_Gavinator

I was completely serious. Why would you waste your time learning 5 different lines of 15 moves of theory for the Ruy, when you can simply win in 15 moves with the Parham. I think you're the one that's not serious.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #10

ChristianSoldier007

hm i have a reason... the parham is just plain bad while the Ruy Lopez is good.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #11

jetfighter13

The parham looses tempo, develops the queen way to early, and allows black to have an easy time developing, though it was played by Nakamura, he no longer uses it. Also The Ruy is proven sound, and the number one way to avoid theory is to simply just play an uncommon move.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #12

The_Gavinator

Lol how is the Parham bad, Nakamura played it, and said the move was good.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #13

The_Gavinator

Well he managed to draw chess masters with it, I can't say the same for the bongcloud. The Parham is an aggressive, attacking move, bongcloud is stupid.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #14

whatupyodog

Parham and qsfl are keys to becoming gm

• 24 months ago · Quote · #15

ChristianSoldier007

Just because one master plays an opening a few times doesn't mean its good. I don't see him springing it in an actualy tournament. I bet he would never dream over playing that in the Tal Memorial, Londen Classic, or WC Candidate's matches

• 24 months ago · Quote · #16

The_Gavinator

It's not one master, is freaking Nakamura. He's the best American chess player. He managed to draw with other masters, so obviously the move isn't busted. For amateurs like us, I find it fun to attack with.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #17

whatupyodog

i on the other hand am not an amateur and back up that the parham is a great opening.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #18

jetfighter13

yes but for whatups, there is no key to becoming gm except hard work.

any I would play 3. ...f5 in the Ruy

• 24 months ago · Quote · #19

The_Gavinator

how does the parham lose a tempo jetfighter?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #20

ChristianSoldier007

actually whatupydog, you are an amateur. dont want to sound rude or anything, but you arent good until you reach 2200

Post your reply: