Gashimov Memorial, Round 2 is LIVE and Open to ALL MEMBERS!Click here to watch!
Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Odd Move In the Ruy Lopez?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #21

whatupyodog

no sane person would play 2. Nf3 after 1. e5 , they would do 2. qh5.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #22

AnthonyCG

The_Gavinator wrote:

It's not one master, is freaking Nakamura. He's the best American chess player. He managed to draw with other masters, so obviously the move isn't busted. For amateurs like us, I find it fun to attack with.

It's because he's a good player that he can get away with 2.Qh5.

It's the same reason that Miles got away with 1...a6.

It has nothing to do with the opening.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #23

The_Gavinator

Or maybe it's just a good move? What says it's bad?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #24

whatupyodog

Nakamura got away with it because the opening pwns. Also ChristianSoldier, if you are refering to my rating on here it is so low because i barely play chess on here, i use chesscube because it has more people that are decent/ very good on it.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #25

ChristianSoldier007

but u r not titled are you? if you are 2200 in the real world that means you are titled, which you are not

• 24 months ago · Quote · #26

ChristianSoldier007

would someone please post some conrete lines in which white is better? blunder free i might add (besides the 2.Qh5 blunder)

• 24 months ago · Quote · #27

AnthonyCG

ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

would someone please post some conrete lines in which white is better? blunder free i might add (besides the 2.Qh5 blunder)

Oh no...

• 24 months ago · Quote · #28

The_Gavinator

In the ruy or parham?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #29

jetfighter13

• 24 months ago · Quote · #30

ChristianSoldier007

@jetfighter die-hard parham fans would play 3.Bc4 in your Nc6 line

• 24 months ago · Quote · #31

The_Gavinator

Ok, jetfighter, in your line, white plays 4. Nc3, to protect the pawn. Also, in your alternate line white plays 3. Bc4 to threaten mate dummy.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #32

AnthonyCG

jetfighter13 wrote:

5...Bd6 6.e5 GG.

5...d5 is better.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #33

ChristianSoldier007

• 24 months ago · Quote · #34

AnthonyCG

paulgottlieb wrote:

In my database I have Nakamura playing it twice: one loss, one draw. If I ever need an opening to score 25% with White, I'll know just where to find it.

He also played 1.e4 c5 2.Qh5 against a grandmaster once and lost in 23 moves--as White!

I have five games he played in 2005. His record is 1-2-2. Most of the games are against players at around 2400 and the other was played against a 2600 (a loss only after 87 moves!). In the game he did win he really had to outplay his opponent.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #35

jetfighter13

ok then

I know this goes farther than most would like to think is the opening, I was just playing through an exchange sequens all the way out, that way it doesn't look like those computer generated analysese that leave off the last capture in a sequence

• 24 months ago · Quote · #36

TonyH

2. Qh5 not good and nakamura even said so in a later interview I believe in New In Chess. he said it was an childhood experiment and it was time to play real openings to try and get an advantage. He did say it wasnt losing but black can easily equalize. So anyone that thinks the Qh5  is good go ahead play it please donate your rating points. stop posting , because I cannt think of a better word, moronic comments when people are asking serious questions. 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #37

ChristianSoldier007

has anyone here read my blog post?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #38

AnthonyCG

I think that Nakamura's idea of fun chess isn't really suited for the 2700 club. He is tightening his openings but I don't think he's going to climb until he conforms to the same thing everyone else is playing:

Berllin, Najdorf, Sveshnikov, Nizmo, and Catalan over and over and over and...

• 24 months ago · Quote · #39

The_Gavinator

Yes I have. Those lines (in your blog), are all things I see in a parham. You would be suprised at how many bullet players, in fear of dropping a few seconds, end up dropping their rook, or even the mate early on. Then you have the hotshots that think the kiddie-countergambit is the greatest thing ever, I smoke them too. In the mainline, as jetfighter posted above, 6. 0-0 is a mistake. I prefer Nc3.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #40

ChristianSoldier007

yeah because thats a speed game. Time pressure is a completely different game than real chess. In real chess its bad, in bullet anything is acceptable

Post your reply: