Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Odd Move In the Ruy Lopez?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #121

jetfighter13

I know my lines, I just don't go flaunting them because as soon as I get past 6 moves I am playing on my own based on thematic knowledge, aka trade dark square bishop, exchange sac on the c file, get pawn to e5 or f5, rip open h file,

bonus points if they can guess the opening based on the themes here, then post it

• 2 years ago · Quote · #122

The_Gavinator

Ok, I still don't see the need for you to keep calling me an amateur. Bernard played Qh5 against everything, and he was a chess master. Just because you don't like the Parham attack doesn't mean you have the right to look down on those who play it.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #123

waffllemaster

Seems some confuse the existence of a model with the superiority of a model.  Just because the matrix system is a way to play, doesn't say anything about whether or not it's a good or better way to play.

If you want to reduce chess to a few algorithms, chess programs have been doing that for decades.  With all the time and money people like Kauffman have put into the development I don't think it's a coincidence that the matrix stuff hasn't been used.  Maybe you'd like to test that for us, and show how the matrix system gives better evaluations / moves than the standard way of playing...

Because also true is different doesn't mean better either.  The burden of proof is on the fringe ideas not the other way around.  The standard way of playing has been tested by people for nearly a century.  Alternatively, maybe you can point to some strong players today using the matrix system.  Although considerably weaker than the best players, anyone around 2400-2500 would be good.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #124

waffllemaster

The_Gavinator wrote:

Ok, I still don't see the need for you to keep calling me an amateur. Bernard played Qh5 against everything, and he was a chess master. Just because you don't like the Parham attack doesn't mean you have the right to look down on those who play it.

Just because a person plays an idea doesn't make the idea good.  The objective value of a move is entirely unrelated to who is playing it.  I'm sure you and I both have played moves GMs would play (even if we didn't know it ;)  The strength has to do with the position, not our fingers.

Notice Kasparov could have opened exclusively with 1.a3 and still have kept a high GM rating.  Only a silly fan-boy would take that to mean 1.a3 is a good opening just because their hero plays it.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #125

whatupyodog

I am better than all of you except IM pfren but he is cool. I play the parham and i am definately not an amateur, amateurs may play it a lot but they dont know how to capitalize on their opponents awkward positioning which is why it is mistaken as an amateur opening, and The_Gavinator is right, the ruy lopez is very passive.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #126

The_Gavinator

Yes but Kasparov is one of the greatest players of all time, and devotes his live to chess. Bernard Parham is a physics professor I belive, and plays chess as a pastime. My point is that the matrix chess system isn't perfect, but it obviously isn't broken if he could be a chess master.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #127

waffllemaster

I agree, from what I've read about it, it dosen't seem stupid or bad... I don't know if it's the best way to play :)  but it still makes sense.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #128

The_Gavinator

Yes, it's highly mathematical I belive, I'd like to learn more about it, however my point anyhow is that bernard parham became a master by playing the parham attack every game against 1...e5, so it can't be refuted...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #129

jetfighter13

just like the King's Gambit can't be refuted

• 2 years ago · Quote · #130

whatupyodog

yes it can it sucks

• 2 years ago · Quote · #131

The_Gavinator

But the king's gambit throws away a pawn, opens up your kingside, and is much easier to stop.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #132

jetfighter13

it still isn't refuted, even BOBBY FISCHER DID NOT BELIEVE IT WAS REFUTED EVEN AFTER, I REPEAT-AFTER-, HE PUBLISHED HIS FAMOUS "BUST TO THE KING'S GAMBIT" HE LATER PLAYED IT IN MANY GAMES AND WON, WON, WITH IT, AGAINST LARRY EVANS MOST NOTABLY.

that should prove my point

• 2 years ago · Quote · #133

The_Gavinator

I didn't call it refuted, I called it weak, as did fischer.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #134

whatupyodog

Fischer won because he is good, he just played that opening to end it quickly.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #135

whatupyodog

I will pwn all of you with the parham so i dont want to hear this crap anymore about how it is bad. Chess principles are dumb anyway. I never studied one opening and i was 3rd in the nation in 2nd grade, was 5th grade state champion (A while ago) and i pwn all of you. Until you are around 1900-2000 you dont need to study openings, you need to learn to play well.

I pwn, jetfigher please dont pull that crap anymore.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #136

AnthonyCG

whatupyodog wrote:

I will pwn all of you with the parham so i dont want to hear this crap anymore about how it is bad. Chess principles are dumb anyway. I never studied one opening and i was 3rd in the nation in 2nd grade, was 5th grade state champion (A while ago) and i pwn all of you. Until you are around 1900-2000 you dont need to study openings, you need to learn to play well.

I pwn, jetfigher please dont pull that crap anymore.

Ah yes, the "shut up I'm better than you" defence. I thought they refuted that...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #137

ChristianSoldier007

Laughing

I'm not sure whether to laugh or shake my head at this thread

• 2 years ago · Quote · #138

The_Gavinator

I think it's better than the "I don't like the parham so it must be bad" Defence

• 2 years ago · Quote · #139

jetfighter13

Yes but my favorite, "lets not get into a flame war and ruin a good thread" variation never gets played, oh well

by the way how is the Kings Gambit unsound?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #140

The_Gavinator

well since you just declined your own variation, you hang the f pawn and ruin your kingside.

Post your reply: