Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Odd Move In the Ruy Lopez?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #161

ChristianSoldier007

what do you mean by hanging material? I hardly ever leave hang a piece and just leave it undefended, but sometimes I miss basic tactics from moving too fast or more advanced tactics

• 24 months ago · Quote · #162

The_Gavinator

Right, so practice tactics so you don't do that, if you want to be an IM you can't do this, IM's don't miss basic tactics.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #163

jetfighter13

i often go overboard and use a 3 or 4 move tactic to win a pawn

• 24 months ago · Quote · #164

ChristianSoldier007

yes I do practice. I work on all areas of my chess, not just one

• 24 months ago · Quote · #165

The_Gavinator

I know, my point is that at our current level, tactics are MOST important. This is where we lose games, endgames and openings are more important once you are tactically sound. And since we're rated at 1300, I wouldn't say we're all tactially sound.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #166

jetfighter13

well when rated 14xx at tactics, I would say I can see most stuff, I even see at the end of the puzzles that there are oprotunities for play(except in the find mate ones) like a discovered attack, or something.

also I sovle a lot of puzzles posted from GM games (in the articles) with non discript guidelines fairly quickly (<15 seconds) intuitively, aka no calculations. like that fischer tal draw in Serper's recent article on hating the new FIDE rules. I solved it all with in a minute, and I only knew the result would be a draw, not how.

so I need to improve position and endgame play as well as basic calculation. tactically I still need to practice, but the days when I hang the big one (mate or loss of huge material) are prettymuch over unless I play at night.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #167

The_Gavinator

Still, small tactical errors such as pawns or minor pieces can cause you to lose in the endgame, whether you know endgames or not. I'd say most players stop tactical errors around 1500 USCF, then they should focus on endgames. I am still rated 1227 USCF, and I still make tactical errors. As you are rated similar to me, you're in the same boat.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #168

ChristianSoldier007

I talked to my chess coach, an IM, and he agreed with me that ratings are rough and oftens times dont depict their real strenth.

I am USCF rated, but Ive only played 5 rated games, so its way off measure

• 24 months ago · Quote · #169

jetfighter13

I don't have a rating as I don't know of any clubs near me, and between Track and Field and homework, I don't have time. plus I am very strict with where I spend my money

• 24 months ago · Quote · #170

The_Gavinator

But you both have played numerous games on this site, and are both rated around 1300. Chess.com ratings are inflated slightly, so you are probably around 1200 in ELO, and looking at your games, you both make tactical errors, as do I. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but at the level we are at, we just need to play chess and do tactics, then learn endgame once we are error-free, then learn openings. That's just how it is.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #171

ChristianSoldier007

I believe that we should work on everything, but focus on one thing at a time. Like if you have 10 hours a week to study (not including playing) then I would focus on one subject, say imbalances, for 4 or 5 hours, but i will still have time to study endgames, tactics, openings, ect. As Ive been saying, to be good at chess you have to be good in all areas, not just tactics or openings or endgames 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #172

The_Gavinator

Yes, but we are rated the way we are not because we couldn't remember the 15th move in a ruy lopez line, but because we make tactical errors.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #173

ChristianSoldier007

i know this is off topic but to share my joy I just beat a 2023 ^_^

• 24 months ago · Quote · #174

The_Gavinator

NIce game!, but he shoulda gone for the fried liver, I'd play that every game but I gotta play against the guocio piano.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #175

ChristianSoldier007

i actually wanted him to play the fried liver because of the ulvestad variation. do you know it gavinator?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #176

The_Gavinator

I haven't seen it before, do you mind sharing?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #177

jetfighter13

well the fried liver is easy for black to equalize in

• 24 months ago · Quote · #178

The_Gavinator

After 5...Na5 white is up a pawn.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #179

bguigz

There's been a misunderstanding. What I'm saying is that you guys, are beginners, not compared with titled players, but even compared to experienced amateurs. I'm also a beginner yet better rated than you..

At your level, you need to work on tactics and basic endgames. You've worked a lot on tactics? Doesn't show in your ratings. With the number of games you guys have played here, your ratings are relevant, at least in the chess.com pool. If you were good enough to stop worrying about tactics, you'd be better rated than I am. I still win and lose beause of tactics 9 times out of 10, against 1500/1600 players.

More important, seeing some of your games like the one posted in the Help with the dragon thread, you guys may think you understand an opening, but once again, playing thematic moves or coming up with a plan is useless when you blunder so much. In the game I mention, you guys hanged pieces and missed basic tactics.

Yeah I know, one was multi tasking and the other one was not on his best day. Nice excuses, proably easier than admitting you're still very weak at tactics.

Imbalances? Positional chess is useless as long as you miss basic tactics and hang pieces. And anyway, Silman is way above your head at your rating. Pick up a copy of Heisman's Elements of positional evaluation, more acessible and focused on principles rather than "imbalances"...

Anyway, this is useless, you guys think that you're much better than you actually are and won't be convinced otherwise. Maybe some more months stagnating at the same rating will open your eyes...

• 24 months ago · Quote · #180

jetfighter13

Hey don't push buttons, i have already admited that I still need practice and have admited that the game was pretty useless, my not being on a good day was just a thing of me having a crap day and just not really paying much attention to detail. but I do agree that we need to study tactics and endgames. but I don't want to leave anything behind. Plus a flawed plan is better than no plan

Post your reply: