Forums

old benoni

Sort:
Fear_ItseIf

every week i play against a friend of mine at work and whenever im whit ehe plays the old benoni. Usually i just wing it, but can anyone give me a good alternative to the mainline which i can try today?

TitanCG

You can try 1.d4 c5 2.e4 with a Smith-Morra gambit or play 1.Nf3 before 1.d4. e.g; 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.d4 c5 3.c4 and then you get an English. You can also try Colle/Torre setups and play c3 instead of d5.

Fear_ItseIf

interesting idea to move order him, thanks

InfiniteFlash

one interesting I am currently playing is 1.nf3 c5 2.d4 (most players will play cxd4 so i play it hehehehehhe), while there is no benefit towards this move order really, it gives black less options to go for a setup that would be preferable...i mean some english, morra gambit, or exchange slav may be not so appealing for many...and yeah like titan said 2..c5 3.c4 is an english that is not boring, these systems are quite playable for either side, and full of play.

I suppose the 2.d4!? move order is less useful in that sense...because all you are doing adding the exchange slav (in my case not), and morra-gambit towards your repetoire.

InfiniteFlash

now that i think about it more, i have to question why i even play 2.d4!?, its not the most accurate move order...

abiogenesis23

Which Old Benoni variation does he play? I would just aim for the Taimanov if he plays into the mainline Benoni.  Not sure if you've tried the variation against the Old Benoni, but this would be it:

Fear_ItseIf

My main issue with the old benoni mainline with 2.d5 is that while its faily miserable for black, its not fun for white either.

Ive tried a bunch of weird stuff, no prep though.

Usually in my games if i see two moves, one that cant be bad, but will lead to a very technical position, and another that is probably unsound but will lead to complications I usually pick the later.
So ive done all kind of pawn sacs against him and king and queen side pawn storms etc just to liven it up.

kikvors

@Randomemory: 1.Nf3 c5 2.d4 doesn't even add the Morra, because of 2...cxd4 3.e4 dxe3.

Or do you play 3.c3? Seems that would be problematic too, e.g. 3...dxc3 4.Nxc3 d5.

TitanCG

White can play 3.Nc3 instead of c4 in that Benoni.

GreenCastleBlock

@TitanCG you are overlooking a trap:

TitanCG

Nice!

InfiniteFlash
kikvors wrote:

@Randomemory: 1.Nf3 c5 2.d4 doesn't even add the Morra, because of 2...cxd4 3.e4 dxe3.

Or do you play 3.c3? Seems that would be problematic too, e.g. 3...dxc3 4.Nxc3 d5.

lol wth, why in the world would black give back the pawn...looks simply better for white.

GreenCastleBlock

zzzz

InfiniteFlash
GreenCastleBlock wrote:

zzzz

the slav exchange is not boring, white has many good tries, you look at a few moves like a newb, and conclude its boring, the positions may be slightly drawsih, but the play is very interesting.

benonidoni
TitanCG wrote:

White can play 3.Nc3 instead of c4 in that Benoni.

That looks like a pirc structure. With 3.NC3 and ..3 g6.

GreenCastleBlock
Randomemory wrote:

the slav exchange is not boring, white has many good tries, you look at a few moves like a newb, and conclude its boring, the positions may be slightly drawsih, but the play is very interesting.

I was only jokingly pointing out that Black doesn't have to go into a Smith Morra, he could do something quite different.

You throwing around labels like 'newb' and assuming that you know what I am concluding... I wouldn't be doing that.

InfiniteFlash

my bad then!

InfiniteFlash
pellik wrote:

I think the Slav exchange is boring, however it also requires a good deal of precision. That's a terribly dangerous combination.

I never get boring positions in the exchange slav, i may get symmetrical structures, but they are not boring from my view.

kikvors
Randomemory schreef:

lol wth, why in the world would black give back the pawn...looks simply better for white.

Or maybe I shouldn't post blindfold stuff to the forum...

TetsuoShima

my favorite quote on the Benoni, i think it was from Short but i cant remember. Benoni means son of sorrow in hebrew and who played the black side of it knows why.