Forums

play against the kings indian?

Sort:
bazzer

HI guys, i play d4 as white and i was wondering what is generally the best response to the kings indian. At the moment i play the four pawns attack but i don't know much theory to it and i don't want to learn it if it's bad (some people think its good but some thnk its bad as well). any help? thanks...

ThrillerFan

The various lines of the classical (9.Ne1, 9.Nd2, Bayonet 9.b4, Petrosian 7.d5, Gligoric 7.Be3, etc) are White's best.

TheOldReb

I would say the saemisch cant be too bad against the KID since it was the preference of 4 world champions . However , you should try several different systems until you find what suits you best . 

InfiniteFlash

I think the best way to play against the KID is the one you're most comfortable with. For me the bayonet variation is fun. I like having a double-edged game. A lot of people like Ne1 and nd2 stuff instead of immediate 9.b4 though.

And instead of the mainline, many many people are big fans of the saemisch, and fianchetto variations.

TheDon10

Resorting to outside help to beat me huh?

Sred
topj wrote:

u mean the samisch?

No, he means the Sämisch - the correct English transposition of "ä" is in fact "ae".

TheDon10

if you draw to GM's so easily why aren't you a GM?

bazzer

thanks guys because loads of play it, i guess the best option is to try all these suggestions like @reb said, thanks!

bazzer
MalSwanOfZaga10 wrote:

if you draw to GM's so easily why aren't you a GM?

yeah come back come back when you get even close to pfrens rating

SmyslovFan

Don't play the Classical King's Indian because it's comfortable. It's not. It's extremely sharp. I think it's also White's best bet for an objective advantage against the KID. The Saemisch is a bit slower and offers white some really interesting positional opportunities, but Black should be able to equalise in correspondence chess.

The Averbakh has a great pedigree but hasn't been researched as thoroughly as the Classical or the Saemisch. That's an excellent practical choice and may even do well in correspondence games!  Avrukh's repertoire with g3 has been questioned recently. I'm not sure I'd trust it in a game against a well-prepared opponent or in correspondence.

TheDon10

I gurantee pfren has put in far more time than me so on ratios Im better

Dutchday

I agree that the Saemisch or the Averbakh is your best shot to mop up a black player. They probably expect the main lines. 

There is nothing wrong with the 3 pawn centre followed by a Bayonet or something like it. Black gets attacking chances though. I played both sides and often I barely escaped. Knowing the ideas meant I usually got by though.

I can't do much with it you don't want to learn theory. Maybe you should play the exchange line then. 

BruceJuice

5.Be2 followed by g4 is worth a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18d7ifmty3c

SmyslovFan

Nice, Bruce! That looks like a GREAT blitz try. Here's what could happen in a slower time control.

Komodo_Dragaon

The 1 line that gives me big problems with black is the Bayonet and black can either be crushed positionally or tactically very easily. If you are playing players under 2000 I imagine they would be unfamiliar with the system and you would be able to mop up the points. 

SmyslovFan
pfren wrote:

Also, I find hard to follow the FUD about the Avrukh suggested lines being "unsound". IMO they are just fine, it's just the analysis which is unsound (blindly trusting engine evaluation). The only suggested line which isn't good is a Grunfeld one, where Black holds his own very easily.

... If you feel that 8.Qd3 is refuted in some other way, feel free to comment- IMO it's just fine, Avrukh is right, and the engines are wrong.

Regarding Avrukh's line... congratulations on a nice win, but that wasn't the line that people said gave black easy, stale equality. This wasn't computer analysis, it was human analysis. Perhaps backed up by computers, I don't know. One of the people commenting on this was your fellow countryman, Nikos Ntirlis.

The line that is supposed to lead to equality is below. Avrukh discusses the variation on pages 409-411 in Grandmaster Repertoire 1.d4 volume 2.

SmyslovFan

Shucks!

I was looking forward to a good theoretical discussion here.

Anyway, I never said it was refuted. But the readers can see what I said. Perhaps you and I could play an unrated King's Indian correspondence match here some time?  I'll defend this side for Black and play the white side of the Classical against you. 

benonidoni

I agree with both of the masters. Those seem to confuse black in the opening at lower levels. I personally like BE3 and avoid the 9. NE1, ND2 as black seems to know pretty well and seems to be memorized 20 moves deep whereas the BE3 kind of crosses black up expecting the NE1 variation in the KI.

Saimisch (mispelled) is good also.

kiwi-inactive

The yugoslav attack. 

SmyslovFan

For those who are interested, here's the Ding Liren-Mamedov game. Riazantsev(+2700) played 6.h3 e5 7.d5 in his game against Mamedov a couple days ago (2013). I don't know if we can read anything into his choice. The game was interesting but ended in a draw.

The notes are based on comments made by Andrew Martin.