Forums

Poll

Sort:
Ray42594

Poll: what do you play against the sicilian defense as white?  Please give full variations.

trysts

I usually play: 1.e4 c5  2.c3.

Sorry, fixed nowWink

Ray42594
trysts wrote:

I usually play: 1.e4 c5  2.c6.

do you ever come across 2...d5 or 2...e6 from black because those are the main responses

Ziryab

2.c6 is illegal

Ray42594
Ziryab wrote:

2.c6 is illegal

I think Trysts means 2.c3

trysts
RapidGeneralX wrote:
trysts wrote:

I usually play: 1.e4 c5  2.c6.

do you ever come across 2...d5 or 2...e6 from black because those are the main responses

Yes.

Ziryab

I generally reply 2...d5 after 1.e4 c5 2.c3, but after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3, I reply 2...e6. As White I play 1.d4, so cannot speak to how I approach the Sicilian.

NachtWulf

3. Bb5 (Rossolimo or Moscow, depending on their response). There's some theory to it, but it throws most players at my level immediately out of the book. If they exchange bishops, I set up a Maroczy bind, and go from there.

Ziryab
NachtWulf wrote:

3. Bb5. There's some theory to it, but it throws most players at my level immediately out of the book.

It was a pain when IM John Donaldson played that against me in a simul a few years ago. I'm better now, and have learned to deal with that move. I've also switched from the Sicilian to the French.

Ray42594
Ziryab wrote:

I generally reply 2...d5 after 1.e4 c5 2.c3, but after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3, I reply 2...e6. As White I play 1.d4, so cannot speak to how I approach the Sicilian.

Do you go into a smith morra gambit?

Ziryab
RapidGeneralX wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

Do you go into a smith morra gambit?

I like the line 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Bc4 for White and play it in blitz.

Opponents who play 4...cxb2 often regret it.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

I play 1.d4, but if I switched to e4, I would play the c3 Sicilian, for sure. IQP positions happen already in a ton of my games, and the semi-open games after Nf3/d4 almost never occur.

heinzie

Weirdest poll ever

Ziryab
heinzie wrote:

Weirdest poll ever

You're not familiar with polls of constituents by American politicians.

Which is the better vegetable?

a. apple

b. orange

c. banana

d. coconut

DrSpudnik

Maybe a tomato, except on Sunday.

NachtWulf
[COMMENT DELETED]
Ziryab
[COMMENT DELETED]
ChessisGood

I avoid it entirely:

Ray42594

Please, do not post such discussions of such politics on my forum.  Thank you

Ziryab
RapidGeneralX wrote:

Poll: what do you play against the sicilian defense as white?  Please give full variations.

You're asking for too much work in response to to little work on your part. That's tends to elicit spam and satire.

Why not post a list of variations that interest you and ask which ones others prefer: that's how polls are generally constructed.