Forums

Ponziani Opening

Sort:
kantifields

Dodging the Fraser (part 1):

kantifields

Here is a game where my opponent did not make a single move identified as inaccurate by chess.com's engine (I made 10).  Although I made no "mistakes" or "blunders", my inaccuracies landed me in a lost position.  My opponent lost on time.

ponz111

Your game was interesting. It is way too complex to analyze it completely unless you have all the time in the world. 

Is this a game from the computer allowed tourney or from some other tourney?

kantifields

You know I don't play computer (centaur) games.

kantifields

Recent VC game

kantifields
ponz111 wrote:

Your game was interesting. It is way too complex to analyze it completely unless you have all the time in the world. 

Is this a game from the computer allowed tourney or from some other tourney?

Ponz, which of my two games were you referring to?

ponz111

Kant

The game above against aersley is very complex.

With the win over the Indian Maruders, Ponziani Power has a 16 game winning streak.  My guess is the win streak will end there. Does any vote chess group have a longer win streak? 

Ponziani Power vote chess strives to find and play the best teams possible.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Yep, king activity and initiative usually decide in opposite colored bishop positions.  Never mind the advanced connected passed pawns that are ready to steamroll the king. 

kantifields

I was lost in the game against Aersley, I got the win because he timed out.

Check that ELO site for the top performing teams.  We are number 11 due to a forfeit loss when the team began and one other loss to a team of dubious reputation.

kantifields
ponz111 wrote:

Kant

With the win over the Indian Maruders, Ponziani Power has a 16 game winning streak.  My guess is the win streak will end there. Does any vote chess group have a longer win streak? 

I don't know if any team has a longer win streak.  But several team results are in my opinion more impressive.  A few undefeated teams whose average opponent ratings are higher than ours.  Also, we always have white and dictate the opening choice.  The only thing our opponents have going for them is the chance to prepare a pet line.  Unfortunately for them there are no side lines that give black an advantage.  Therefore, we will never be worse than equal.  In general, the games are our to lose.  Our pponents cannot really win.

ponz111
kantifields wrote:
ponz111 wrote:

Kant

I don't know if any team has a longer win streak.  But several team results are in my opinion more impressive.  A few undefeated teams whose average opponent ratings are higher than ours.  Also, we always have white and dictate the opening choice.  The only thing our opponents have going for them is the chance to prepare a pet line.  Unfortunately for them there are no side lines that give black an advantage.  Therefore, we will never be worse than equal.  In general, the games are our to lose.  Our pponents cannot really win.

I don't know about that.  Actually I disagree.  But we will see...

Good luck to my former team Ponziani Power and also to their opponents.

kantifields

if our streak does end with our current game, it will be because of conscious decision to play for a win instead of stearing into a dead draw.  That is my point; the game is ours to lose.

ryszardos

Read nearly the whole thread and it has a really bad karma. Almost the whole thread is about the book, ponz111 and the ponziani group. Can you talk about the opening again? I would really like to learn it.

ponz111

ryszardos   There are two good ways to learn about the Ponziani.  One is the book on the Ponziani. Another way is to apply to join Ponziani Power vote chess team. There is a ton of information about how to play the Ponziani in their forums.

It is beyond the scope of this forum to teach the various lines. However some lines get mentioned from time to time.

BrianWall

Brian Wall vs Cory Kohler, Round 18, 24 Hour Insanity

click and move no notes

https://denverchess.com/Games/ViewPGN?id=5131
===========================================================================================================================
===========================================================================================================================
Brian Wall vs Cory Kohler, Round 18, 24 Hour Insanity

click and move with embedded notes

https://denverchess.com/Games/ViewPGN?id=5135

[Event "24 HOUR INSANITY (201312295702)"]
[Site "Herman home, Colorado Springs, CO"]
[Date "2013.12.29"]
[Round "18"]
[White "Brian Wall"]
[Black "Cory Kohler"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ICCResult "Black resigns"]
[WhiteElo "2249"]
[BlackElo "1700"]
[Opening "Ponziani: Jaenisch counter-attack"]
[ECO "C44"]
[NIC "KP.05"]
[Time "7 AM Sunday"]
[TimeControl "Game/30 minutes plus a 5 second delay"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. c3 Nf6 4. d4 exd4 5. e5 Nd5 6. cxd4 Bb4+ 7. Nbd2 O-O
8. Qb3 Bxd2+ 9. Bxd2 Nb6 10. Bg5 Qe8 11. Bb5 Qe6 12. Qxe6 dxe6 13. Bxc6 bxc6
14. Be7 Re8 15. Bc5 Ba6 16. b3 Bd3 17. Nd2 Red8 18. f3 Nd5 19. Kf2 a5 20.
Rhd1 Bc2 21. Rdc1 Bd3 22. Ne4 Bxe4 23. fxe4 Nf4 24. Rc3 a4 25. g3 Nh3+ 26.
Ke3 axb3 27. Rxb3 Rdb8 28. Rab1 Rxb3+ 29. Rxb3 h6 30. a3 Ng5 31. Rb7 Rc8 32.
a4 Ra8 33. Ba7 f5 34. exf6 gxf6 35. Rxc7 Nf7 36. a5 Nd8 37. g4 Nf7 38. Bb6
Nd8 39. Kd3 e5 40. dxe5 fxe5 41. Kc4 Rb8 42. Kc5 Ne6+ 43. Kxc6 Nxc7 44. Kxc7
Rf8 45. a6 Rf7+ 46. Kb8 Rf8+ 47. Kb7 Kg7 48. a7 Kg6 49. h4 Kf6 50. a8=Q Rxa8
51. Kxa8 Ke6 52. Bc7 Kf6 53. Kb7 Ke6 54. Kc6

1-0
====

BrianWall
kantifields

A recent voctory from the black side:

Unfortunately I can not annotate my games lately.

ponz111

Kant that looks very similar to a line I played in Ponz says he can refute the Ponziani.

It would be extremely difficult for even a grandmaster to annotate that game.

kantifields

It looks similar to very many games played by many people. 

I just meant posting some comments.  Lately I can only post comments on side lines.

TitanCG
kantifields wrote:

It looks similar to very many games played by many people. 

I just meant posting some comments.  Lately I can only post comments on side lines.

Do you have javascript on and is it the latest version? Sometimes it can cause weird glitches.