Forums

"a killer chess opening repertoire"

Sort:
ForzaJuve

"a killer chess opening repertoire" by summerscale.  anyone know if there is an equivalent for black?

Thanks

Hypocrism

You'll need two books. Choose an opening against 1.d4 and one against 1.e4, and learn both. You can't choose what your opponent plays as black!

rigamagician

Perhaps the most interesting book in that vein is GM Nigel Davies' Gambiteer II: A hard-hitting chess opening repertoire for Black (2007) which focuses on the Ruy Lopez Jaenisch/Schliemann and QGD Albin Countergambit.  There is also GM Lev Alburt, GM Roman Dzindzichashvili and Eugene Perelshteyn's Chess Openings for Black, Explained: A Complete Repertoire (2009).

rigamagician

IM Gary Lane also has a book Ideas Behind Modern Chess Openings: Black (2005) with a repertoire built around the QGD Chigorin and Scandinavian.  Other recent books in this genre include Jouni Yrjola and Jussi Tella's An Explosive Chess Opening Repertoire for Black (2002), IM Christoph Wisnewski's Play 1...Nc6!: A complete chess opening repertoire for Black (2007) and IM Chris Baker's Dynamic Black Opening Repertoire (2004).

orangehonda

For what it's worth, long ago I bought "An Explosive Chess Opening Repertoire for Black" by Yrjola and Tella a GM and IM pair.  They base it around 1...d6 vs anything.  Never went though it, it's sat on my shelf, like I said for what it's wroth :)

chessroboto

Not to mention all the chess videos in Foxy and Roman's Lab series (almost 100 volumes for each set), as well as the Shirov's Best Games in <insert opening here> DVDs that feature his favorite openings using his own games to illustrate them.

And you thought that the video material here in chess.com was overwhelming? Surprised

rigamagician

I don't have "Explosive," but Yrjola did a very good job explaining the general ideas behind various lines in his Sicilian Classical book I thought.  Chris Baker's white repertoire book had some interesting choices of openings for players looking to attack.

This is just my opinion, but I think in general, books are more useful and enlightening than videos at this point.  Most videos seem to be just random thoughts rather than well prepared materials.

chessroboto
rigamagician wrote:

This is just my opinion, but I think in general, books are more useful and enlightening than videos at this point.  Most videos seem to be just random thoughts rather than well prepared materials.

The presentation is the key to chess videos. As long as you can follow and understand the instructor, it does the job.

Some people prefer books. Others learn faster/better with audio-video instruction.

Finally, you can probably go through more openings watching chess videos than reading books like Fundamental Chess Openings. When you've found the opening that you would like to focus on for the year, you can immerse in good books that focus on it.

opticRED

If you prefer a solid black repertoire