Forums

Recent books on the semi-slav?

Sort:
willilo

Hey everyone,

Has there been eny recent books or series of books on the semi-slav that give a near-complete or complete reportoire?

Please post if  you know any.

Thanks

zarusan

why you like semi-slav defend? just look at the kramnik playing. he always play semi-slav..

Hypocrism
kizarusan wrote:

why you like semi-slav defend? just look at the kramnik playing. he always play semi-slav..

You can say that when you play as well as Kramnik!

willilo

Back to the original question? Wink

Quasimorphy

The Triangle System by Scherbakov is scheduled to be released in August. http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/The_Triangle_System%3A_Challenging_White_in_the_Semi-Slav

There's also Play the Semi-Slav by Vigorito from just a few years ago. http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/3/play_the_semislav_by_david_vigorito/

willilo

Thanyou very much Quasimorphy.

CharlyAZ

Hi there: I wonder, why to study openings from books? Books, by its own nature, usually are outdated; why not use some features of chess softwares instead, like "Opening report" from chessbase? I know to get chessbase and the big database is expensive, but if you do the math in the books you have spent your money, it worth the investment, and is even better, because some books are not as good as the whole games commented by masters. (The opening books are like the goose that laid the golden eggs, for real).

In any case, there is a book from Soltis, "Black defensive system for the rest of your chess career", where slav (and carokann) are explained in detail. It's old, from 1997, but it's not for moves, is for ideas, like any other book of chess strategy. After that, you have to keep up to date with what's new. But not opening books, please. A good advice.

CharlyAZ
ajedrecito wrote:

A database may sometimes have misleading results and you have to read deeper into the position. Sometimes having a good author explain why one idea may be better than another in a particular position, but offering both as examples as Vigorito does, can greatly aid in the learning of a certain opening or position. Databases can supplement this, and can replace the books entirely, but many people enjoy reading opening books and can obtain the value from them. Also, there are lines suggested in books that have not occurred in practical play.

But in general I agree that people rely too much on opening books and should do more of their own research.However, I wouldn't say they are useless.

I didnt say they are useless (most of them), I said they will be rapidly outdated. And there is a lot of cookie cutters in the industry of the openings books, because, oh boy, is an industry with all the elements of profitability: there is some ignorance about openings, hence there is demand, and always is something new to be publish, hence the cycle repeats itself. And the opening books industry is the McDonalds of Chess: a big percentage is useless. Have you notice the most published books are about openings?

I have not read the vigorito's book, but it's difficult to trust in a rotten market. Opening books come from a time where they where really necessary. This is not the time.

ElizaLulu
Cyrus Lakdawala has a book on the Slav coming out in July. I believe it will cover semi-slav as well. I have high hopes for it. Update: I think I'm wrong about it covering semi-slav http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/The_Slav%3A_Move_by_Move
willilo

Thanks for all your comments, I personally agree with ajedrecito. Databases and chess books are useful, but too much of either isn't good for a developing chess player.

Quasimorphy

If you're wanting something a little more basic and 2005 is recent enough, Starting Out: Slav & Semi-Slav by Glenn Flear might work for you.   http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Starting_Out%3A_Slav_%26_Semi-Slav 

That series puts more emphasis on the ideas of an opening, but 160 pages for the Slav and Semi-Slav makes me wonder just how stripped down that particular Starting Out book is.  I haven't seen the book and am unfamiliar with Flear's writing, but the Starting Out books tend to be pretty decent at what they're trying to do.

Hypocrism
Quasimorphy wrote:

If you're wanting something a little more basic and 2005 is recent enough, Starting Out: Slav & Semi-Slav by Glenn Flear might work for you.   http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Starting_Out%3A_Slav_%26_Semi-Slav 

That series puts more emphasis on the ideas of an opening, but 160 pages for the Slav and Semi-Slav makes me wonder just how stripped down that particular Starting Out book is.  I haven't seen the book and am unfamiliar with Flear's writing, but the Starting Out books tend to be pretty decent at what they're trying to do.

I have the book. It gives great information for white and black: each line is given an introduction, each major variation given by name containing plans, a "Strategies" section, statistics, and a section about how theoretical the line is, along with one or two analysed games in the line.

willilo

Wow, every book that every person has suggested seems so appealing! I've decided to buy the starting out book first and if I find that I need more knowledge I will then continue to buy other the vigorito or the book coming out in August. Thankyou to all that has helped. Smile

Quasimorphy

Just one more comment about the Flear book--Odd that the publisher's website would be in error, but the websites I usually use to buy chess books show Starting Out: Slav & Semi-Slav to be 256 pages not 160, and one of the customer reviews seems to confirm that.

Hypocrism
Quasimorphy wrote:

Just one more comment about the Flear book--Odd that the publisher's website would be in error, but the websites I usually use to buy chess books show Starting Out: Slav & Semi-Slav to be 256 pages not 160, and one of the customer reviews seems to confirm that.

Looking at my copy, I can confirm it is 256 pages. One of my thicker opening books, excluding of course MCO..

ItsBenjaminTheChessMan

Any ideas about books on the Semi-Slav system? Like against the Reti or other openings?