Forums

Ruy Lopez Refuted

Sort:
helltank

As you can see from the diagram below the Ruy Lopez has been completely and utterly refuted. There is no reason for White to play it any more.

fianchetto123

this is BS why does Kasparov play the opening then?

Mr_Norm

This position has been reached many times before and after 7.axb3 d6 is the main line with white winning 50% of the games in the database.Playing 7...c6? drops a pawn 8.Nxe5 and more pain to come. I would not venture down that road for something wicked that way blows.

helltank

fianchetto, that is because Kasparov does not know it is a bad opening. Wait, that makes me better than Kasparov :))))

Mr_Norm, even d6 means that White has DOUBLED PAWNS and has LOST THE BISHOP pair. Meanwhile, Black is playing actively and has very good pieces. It's obvious Black has the advantage there.

helltank

The position in that pic is illegal btw; both kings are in check. 

mkchan2951

you forgot the Quod erat demonstrandum.

Escapest_Pawn

To be fair, when I was 14, I thought I invented the Muzio.  When I was 15, I realized I was and idiot.

rooperi
Escapest_Pawn wrote:

To be fair, when I was 14, I thought I invented the Muzio.  When I was 15, I realized I was and idiot.

When you were 16, you realised Muzio was an idiot?

0ort

white has doubled pawns and has lost the bishop pair but also has slightly more central control, more centralised pawns, an open rook file and a lead in development (not to mention a hanging e5 pawn lol)

finalunpurez

Nxe5 followed by f4 and d3, white's position is pretty good.

crypticplague

helltanker, we all know that Kasparov is the greatest. I have played this position a few times with success as well.

plutonia

Now that we're at it, I have a problem with a couple of lines. Can somebody advise please?

Scottrf

Why can't white play 8. Re1 pinning the knight?

plutonia

^ simply d5 to support the knight and white is actually worse. For example:

Scottrf

What sense does Ne5 make? 9. Nfd2 or perhaps even Ng5 look to be at least winning the pawn back.

plutonia

It was just an example, as it is a common maneuver.

No 9.Nfd2 is no better and doesn't win the pawn back because d4 is just too weak. I checked with an engine and black is still better.

Scottrf

d4 can't be weak, I didn't suggest 9. cxd4.

azziralc

...Na5 isn't bad but not a best move also.

White has an open a-file but cede the bishop pair.

White can take the pawn on e5 which is free.

White can play 8.c4, 8.Nxe5 with a good game.

azziralc

Black's only advantage is the bishop pair. He can open the position on the kingside to make the most of the bishop pair.

azziralc

Just wondering if why Black plays 7...c6 instead of 7...Bb7 followed by 8...c5 then the c4 break will be refuted by 9.c4 b4! and White has a backward pawn on b3