Forums

Saemisch and 5.Bg5 in the King's Indian

Sort:
helltank

I am a King's Indian player, but was recently informed that it wasn't popular due to the strong defences of 5.f3 and 5.Bg5.

How do I deal with these counters?

bronsteinitz

If you are a kings Indian player, you should know. If you do not know the samisch then you can not be a kings Indian player :-)

helltank

Actually preventing Ng4 is one of the two points of the Saemisch(the other is to support a g4 push). 

TwoMove

KingsIndian certainly isn't unpopular because of 5Bg5 or 5f3 Samisch. Samisch not so popular for white has used to be because 5....0.0 6Be3 c5 works out well for black. If black not so keen on endgames can play 6...Nb-d7 before c5.

MartinJaeggi

Black has 2 plans against the Saemisch: a kings side attack with Nh5 and Qh4 (very sharp but also very analysed) and an attack at the queens side with the idea forcing b5 (with a6 and/or c6). Bg5 can be answered with c5 and Qa5, looking for a possibility to play Nxe4.

OldHastonian

The legendary Mr Gligoric fell foul of it here, Uhlmann played 6.Bh4 rather than Be3...

OldHastonian

The bishop was certainly "offside" in this game.

OldHastonian
pfren wrote:

Yes, old man Efim was quite proud of this game (I've attended a few courses by him when he was the trainer of the greek national team).

White can most likely keep things "level" by 13.h4!, but in any case the whole opening concept by Black is very sound and reliable.

Later on, Stein missed the equalizing 17.Qe1!, but finding such moves when under strong pressure is certainly a difficult task.

Interesting insight...I never got to see Geller play, I think he was one of the few top Russians of his era that didn't play at the annual Hastings Congress.

You've got me on 13.h4, how is it better than the Ne2 Stein played?