Forums

Scandinavian defence

Sort:
hamis

Have been playing this gambit called Boehnke gambit of the Scandi which goes like this: 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 e5. The purpose is to play e4 thus putting pressure on the kingside or exchanging the pawn in order to control the e file. Have had some spectacular successes with it but some failures, too attributed  to weak mopves on my part.

Does anyone know about the originator of this gambit? Seems that the search engines has nothing to mention about this Boehnke.

travis1010
what happens after 3.dxe6 e.p.  Doesn't seem like its worth a pawn to me?
chessiq

First off, I am not a big believer in sacking pieces or pawns on the first 4 moves, especially if you are playing Black. The only merit I can see with such an opening, is that after 3.dxe5, 3...Bxe6, you seem to have some open space in which you can do "things". You seem to be ahead in development. The downside is you are down a pawn, and it doesn't look like you will recover it any time soon. White is behind in development, but he will catch up pretty soon. I would play it against weaker opponents or in friendlies, but I would not try it where it may affect my rating.

BTW, have you looked up the opening online? What are the reviews like? chessgames.com may have a game or two on that.

Sprite

I've never seen that gambit before.  A safer version (not sure if right adjective) is1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 the standard line of Scandinavian Defense.  Although it's not played very much (has been played by Anand against Kasparov within the past decade =D), it's nice for me as it allows me to set the course of the game, ruining all preperation for the 1.e4 e5 2. nf3 and the infamous Ruy Lopez, or other similar position.  Considering almost all of the games I see amongst my friends (and even on chess team) are 1.e4 e5 or 1. e4 c5, it most likely will force your opponent to leave the book several moves earlier than planned.

hamis

to o0obruceleeo0o:

then 3...Bxe6, developing the B and opening the e fil which, i think, is enough compensation for the lost pawn.

to chessig:

you are right. I am reluctant to play this gambit against very strong players, for one.If only there is a way to play the game unrated in order to iron out the kinks.......

there is a game in chessgame.com, sigggens vs. philips. you might try to see that game.

to Sprite:

Yea, it is a very obscure gambit. Boehnke, the originator is also a mystery. there is no mention of Boehnke on any search engine that I could think of.

andy-inactive
I agree with chessiq here, I don't think this can be considered a sound opening line. Playing 1...d5 already gives you a lower chance of winning (compared to say, 1...c5), and then you're giving away a pawn too... not something I would play :)
verusamo
Sicilian! Sicilian! Sicilian! Sorry...I am a huge fan of the Sicilian. LOL.
nana1205

hi you can game with me

nana1205

hi you can game with me

mottsauce

http://www.chessopeningsdatabase.com/5/e4,d5,exd5,e5,/Chess-Openings-Database.htm

MaddFunn

i love the scandi

Cymantex

I don't think this gambit is very sound either. When you sacrifice a pawn this early in the opening you normally wont a target to attack otherwise the  development advantage usually won't be very effective. I think thats the case with this gambit.

laminat0r

I've lost horribly with the Boehnke a few times already, some just to terrible tactical blunders.  The greatest success comes from trying to capitalise early with the extra tempo;  it seems if you can get some extra pieces out via the open files, making some threats on White's queenside, then you can disrupt the pawn structure and create weaknesses or favourably exchange material before White is fully developed.

TRextastic
I just found this thread after playing the Boehnke. I didn't even know it was a thing until chess.com's analyzer told me so. I played it out of boredom since a friend and I play pretty typical, symmetrical openings, and I beat him a lot. So I decided to switch it up with a random gambit. It worked out for me. I'm not sure why. He missed a few tactics, especially when I pinned his queen, and later removed the knight defending his bishop.

I wouldn't recommend it. It didn't do anything for me. I sacrificed a pawn basically just to be in white's position of being one step ahead in development. Works against lower opponents maybe, but there's no way I'd use this in a serious game without further planning and investigation.