Forums

Semi slav meran (as white)

Sort:
shepi13

I've been looking at the semi slav meran variation recently, mainly the bloomenfeld variation of it:

In addition, I am wondering if instead of continuing with the sharp bloomenfeld variation, I should switch to the reynolds variation:

Simply put, in most of the lines I've found I am having trouble with black gaining equality, but I would rather still avoid the Moscow, anti-moscow, and botvinnik variations, which I've had trouble with. Are there any recomendations?

Sources:

MCO 15

chessgames.com database

chess.com opening explorer

Courtney-P

My .02

I don't know the lines you mention..

The 1st game looks really good and somewhat open for Black, the 2nd looks very drawish with a lot of tension and has an IQP.  You said yourself you don't like IQP positions so again a point for Game #1

Cons: Draws are not bad.

shepi13

I don't know which one I feel more comfortable playing Laughing, I'm mainly asking for theoretical purposes, as I have only ever had this position once, during which I forgot all of the theory after 11...axb5 (I had just begun learning the meran) and proceeded to lose in epic fashion:

shepi13

*** in the comment to 19...Re5 in the variation I meant that I can't find this game anywhere online, does anyone know how it ended??

EnemyGenerator

just to for theoratical judgement. 11.axb5 isn't played anymore because afther 12exf6-gxf6 13.0-0-Qb6 14.Qe2-Ba6 and now not a4 but 15.Rd1! and black gets some problems giving support to his d4 pawn afther the bishop moves. the last try was 15.Rd8 but white seems to maintaned an edge. instead nowadays people play 11.Nxe5 and afther the more or less forced line 12.Nxe5-axb5 13.Bxb5-Bd7 14Nxd7-Qa5+ 15.Ld2-Qxb5 16.Nxf8-Rxf8(Kxf8 is playable butt according to kasparov and more top players this is the best)

now white usually follows up with 17 a4 to get the queen of the a6-f1 diagonal and advance his past pawn all at once. the queen does best to hold the white king from castling so 17.Qc4(Qd3-Ta3!) 18.b3-Qd3. the position reached is usually a draw altough white might have some practical chanches butt it relies on a blunder. I suppose thats why at high level the reynolds is usually prefered.

shepi13
shepi13

I'm now playing this line, to just play some chess.

shepi13

Okay, thanks. I've been leaning towards b3 against the a6 slav variations, so it seems like it might be a good idea to play it against everything, and I do need to fix my opening. 

shepi13

And is there much difference between 5. b3 and 5. e3 Nbd7 6. b3?

Omicron1056

What about:

I got this line from a book written in the 1950s. I think it's a bit dated, but it's something to look at!

Chicken_Monster
RupertRhine wrote:

Yuh huh. Pity you are over 6yrs late to the conversation... but Semi Slav is now busted at master level. Play NimzoIndian instead.

What are you talking about? Super-GMs play the Semi-Slav...and not just in fast games. Liren, Kramnik, Anand, etc.

(Also, White can easily prevent the Nimzo by not playing an early Nc3.)

Yigor

[The first diagram in OP]: It seems that, statistically, 14. Qe2 gives better winning chances to white than 14. Be4. U could also consider 14. Bf4. explorer.pngpeshka.png