Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

smith-mora gambit

• 2 years ago · Quote · #21

chopwood

Thanks IM pfren. You have filled the very hole in my analysis that I needed. I have long ago settled on the classical variation by Langrock's own analysis. It's still very tricky, and I think that against a good tactical player as white, a lesser defense by black will land the second player in terrible trouble. I'll take your advice in my next tournament game. Jack

• 2 years ago · Quote · #23

chopwood

You are probably right, but Langrock is an FIDE master, so I have taken his book seriously. Your comments will help me- I have tried the Chicago Defense and other variations , but his analysis of the classical line sounds like Black's best shot, and your addition makes me feel confident that I can at least put up a good fight. Jack

• 2 years ago · Quote · #24

chessmaster102

Jack have you ever heard of the finegold or the evans defense these defenses praticaly refuted if not actually did refute the morra.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #25

Morris_W3

• 2 years ago · Quote · #26

Morris_W3

This is a position that occured in a recent game after 16....0-0-0.  The obvious threat is 17.  N-e7+ forking the rook on g8, but also the half open c file looks very promising as well.  This is indicative of some of the games I have played (yes, both of us are <1400 {a point that has been made quite clear} ) but the game in general featured very quick attacks and it was quite enjoyable. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #28

Morris_W3

I get that a lot of more experienced players would not accept the gambit by making some of the moves discussed instead of 2...cxd.  ( I have seen that only a few times ).  When my opponent plays (sometimes d6 or Nf6) my usual response is to simply push the pawns to e5 or d5.  It makes for more of a  subtle, quieter game.  Not my cup of tea.

Post your reply: