Forums

Starting out with the Sicilian accelerated dragon repertoire

Sort:
CaptainCulpa

Hi.

This is my first post here and i am a recreational player who really would like to start trying out playing the sicilian.

I have looked at it and find that i think the accelerated dragon is a line i am very intrested in as my maine line.

But i would like some help with what other openings i need to prepare for if White dosent play into the accelerated dragon.

Im thinking like the c4, f4 and such sicilian. What variations do i need to add to get a full repertoire for the sicilian.

It would be really helpfull if I would be able to make a list of openinglines i need to complement the accelerated dragon with.

Thanks in advance for the help.

CaptainCulpa
pellik wrote:

I could never have enough patience to be an accellerated dragon player. I like trying to win too much.

Well my second choice is actualy the aggressive najdorf. But i thought i start with the accelerated dragon.

Sred

Hint: Before you start, decide if you like playing against the Rossolimo (1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5). If not, consider playing the "hyper-accelerated" move order 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 g6.

CaptainCulpa
Sred wrote:

Hint: Before you start, decide if you like playing against the Rossolimo (1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5). If not, consider playing the "hyper-accelerated" move order 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 g6.

Well if that gets me one less line to worry about im all for it.

Tmb86

Check out the games (and videos) of Daniel Rensch, IM ACEChess on chess.com. Plenty of sicilian action to be found.

Sred
CaptainCulpa wrote:
Sred wrote:

Well if that gets me one less line to worry about im all for it.

Of course, there are some lines that only occur with the hyper accelerated move order, most notably the main line 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 g6 3 d4 cxd4 4 Qxd4, but you may find those preferable to the Rossolimo. Definitely they are less theoretical.

Dutchday

I doubt anyone is going to give you a pre cooked reportoire. You can look up what you need online. 

That being said, the Grand Prix proper is not so hot: 1.e4 c5 2.f4 d5 and black has an open game upon exchanging, or you enter the French advanced without the locked in c8 bishop. 

The delayed Grand Prix leads to much more intricate play. You could end up with 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.f4 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Bb5 and Nd4! (Allowing doubled pawns could give black an awful game) This is a well known line.

My personal choice has always been to French the game up. I would just go e6 and d5, after which white usually advances. Then comes Ne7, h5 and Nf5 and white can hardly hope for any attack: The f4 pawn is blocking the bishop and also there is no Nf4 attack. 

plutonia

Dzindzichashvili has a repertoire book for black based on the hyper accelerated dragon. I found it to be a really good book, exaplaining very well how to play in all accelerated dragon positions.

The only fault of that book is that its solution against both the c3 sicilian and Smith-Morra sucks. They want you to play a Dzindzi novelty that it's extremely dubious.

Also the way they play the accelerated dragon in that book is slightly different from Melik's videos (one develops the lsB on c6, the other on e6). I do like the lines presented in the book though, I think it's a valid resource overall, for sure worth the money.

However I decided to build another repertoire based on the Najdorf. This is just a matter of taste, but I don't really like that in the accelerated dragon many lines are really drawish. Funny, in spite of its name...you would think something called "accelerated dragon" is gonna be ultra-violent but nope :P

Maroczy bind position, while black does have counterplay, he can hardly ever win imo. Even if to be fair white can always put you in some sort of Maroczy even if you try to get into the Najdorf (with some sidelines).

Last thing, studying a repertoire based on the Najdorf is a nightmare. There are just too many things that white can throw at you, and in each of them you have to know your theory perfectly or you're gonna get smashed (even by natural moves).

If I didn't invest so much in the sicilian already, I think I would probably start playing e5.

plutonia
Dutchday wrote:

My personal choice has always been to French the game up. I would just go e6 and d5, after which white usually advances. Then comes Ne7, h5 and Nf5 and white can hardly hope for any attack: The f4 pawn is blocking the bishop and also there is no Nf4 attack. 

Well the advanced French is the worst for white IMO, I'm surprised you encounter it at all...

chessteenager

I once tried picking up the accelerated dragon and the hyper but its a lot of lines man and there are some lines that white can steer which i just dont like to play. 

Dutchday

It's very natural for people to think the f4-e5 centre gives white some type of useful space advantage. I see it online and OTB. 

Make no mistake though, this is not entirely untrue. If black is passive and white gets to play f5 you would still be a goner.

Bartleby73

I'd suggest you get a book like the FCO and work through the Sicilian main lines (Dragons included) practice them and improve your opening that way. That seems to work fine for me.

Sicilian is a pretty exciting way to play, but lots of lines to remember if you want to be perfect.

Tmb86

Well the advanced French is the worst for white IMO, I'm surprised you encounter it at all...

Is this a joke?

kiwi-inactive

nadjorf and dragon variation are the two for me!!

Dragon for me is fairly quite passive in comparison to nadjdorf, interchange between the two.

Sred

Everyman's "Starting Out" series has a volume on the accelerated dragon which really focuses on ideas and plans rather than variations. The author IM Andrew Greet is obviously a very ambitious writer who put some effort in this work.